Water

mcgoo

So I am seeing a lot of drought about..Cape Town running out of water by April, Aussie farmers, California.The Queensland weather does seem a little odd in terms of precipitation this year, but I could be imagining it.Then there's comment at the end of the Big Short about Michael Burry investing in water that got me thinking. I am wondering where we are headed ..it seems generally/globally worse than I remember(Seine river notwithstanding) but that could just be the Intertron :D spreading information/doom a lot more efficiently now than in the past..Interested to hear the BA forum views..are you investing in it/trading in it..if so ..how?Thoughts? Thanks in advance
Euler

I spent about a year of my life on and off in California during their worst drought in many years so it was interesting to see. A lake I boated on during my first visits was completely dry seven years later. The water level dropped about 400ft, it was just incredible. We walked on the bottom of the lake. It's now full again as you would have probably seen on the news.

The earth is self-regulating, sod the humans, so I think you will see more extremes but how the overall picture looks is almost impossible to calculate, so maybe investing in energy saving or new tech that solves those sorts of problems is the way to go. But impossible to pick the winners IMHO.

I almost bought a house a year ago but further research showed it was on a flood plain, but I suspect historical flood records will be of limited use in the future, so backed out.
Dallas

One look at the declining levels of the Colorado River says the southwest US is heading for problems in the coming years and the high plains aquifer won't be far behind and when that happens there goes the bread basket.
sionascaig

Its also interesting to see who has been buying up water rights over the last 20 years in California...
Stanman

Was not High Plains Aquifer a film starring Clint Waterwood?
mcgoo

Thanks for the replies.Interesting

Return to “Australian”