Court siding - Victoria

gazuty

Well, well, well another court siding mystery.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/briti ... 3146c.html

The police, in my view, have got the wrong end of the stick on court siding.

It doesn't corrupt the sporting event or outcome (in of itself) and therefore is not illegal under the legislation as currently in force. http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/ ... s195b.html see definition of "conduct that corrupts".

It does give an advantage to those court side greater than the in play delay. Some people consider that is "unfair". But where does that kind of argument end, we all have a different ping and connection speed.

I have never attempted court siding myself although I had contemplated taking my iPad to the odd match here or there.

But, I could, in Australia, ring betfair on my mobile from the event and place bets "live". Whether or not I beat the delay would depend on how motivated the operator is. What is the legal difference with a person with their laptop or device in their pocket? Keep in mind the Australian federal legislation prohibiting internet betting in-play applies to the betting operator and not to the person placing the bet.

It's all very curious.

Incidentally I have noticed tennis odds moving more slowly indicating less court siding since the Aussie open arrest.
kelpie

Interesting read. Thanks.

Unless I'm missing something, courtsiding is here to stay and authorities can't stop it.

Just from a technical point of view, it's inevitable if photography is allowed. Tag teams anyone? The one courtside dials his pal and accidentally keeps the call on, or pretends to take videos, or whatever. Voila, the guy at the other end has true live audio or audio-video. He can place his trades.

There's nothing wrong with that; and anyway the big guys are already doing this, there just not getting caught.
kelpie

Apart from this big guy of course!

Return to “Australian”