Bet Angel runs slow, possible causes?

User to User support only. For technical support visit www.betangel.com/support/
Trader_Tom

I've found while it runs "alright", Bet Angel is a little on the laggy side on my PC. This doesn't cause too much of a problem but it's sometimes slow to show the last traded price or money entering/exiting the queue which I'm finding is putting me at a bit of a disadvantage, particularly when scalping.

There is obviously a multitude of reasons for this so I've attached a bit of info about my PC spec etc and the usages while running everything.

Processor: 3.8ghz AMD FX-4300 Quad Core.
Ram: 16gb DDR3 RAM
Harddrive: 1TB

As for my internet connection...

Ping - 14ms
Download Speed: 75mbps
Upload Speed: 15mbps

When I open up task manager with EVERYTHING running (BetAngel, ATR/RUK etc) my CPU usage hovers between 35% and 60% with Bet Angel itself accounting for about 80% of that. It will occasionally spike up to 70% - 80% if I'm refreshing one of the videos to make sure it hasn't lagged far behind. But generally, if I'm trading then it's not really topping out at more than 60% usage.

Memory sits around 25% - 30% usage and Disk is about 10% or so.

I have tried Bet Angel with both streaming and non streaming and run it at various speeds. There isn't really any difference between 200ms (where I'd usually run it) and 20ms and both are a lot slower to respond than what I see in videos. I also have Guardian updating markets ever 1 second with only the UK horse racing in it.

I have tried various things such as disconnecting any extra monitors so it's just running the single monitor but this makes hardly any difference to the CPU usage etc. As I type, it's currently using 3% of my CPU with Bet Angel closed.

I wouldn't normally be too bothered but a few times yesterday I went to hedge up, which normally takes the best price available but I've found as it's slower to react it is offering up a price sometimes instead of taking one.

Any help would be much appreciated!

All the best,

Tom

Anyone got any ideas as to what I need to do? Do I need a better CPU?
Dublin_Flyer

There was a suggestion elsewhere about trying out a new "Clean" profile for BetAngel only, it could help eliminate any startup or other background programs causing a bottleneck.

Your CPU is a little dated but should still be fine, by comparison I was previously running an i3 550 3.2ghz with 4GB RAM on a dual display from onboard graphics, and only started to lag when I had 8 or more instances of BA open. (practice practice practice!)

Hard drive could be an issue depending on it's health and efficiency. You could try download HD Tune (free 15 day trial) and run a few diagnostic tests looking for bad sectors, benchmark tests etc.

Also do you use onboard graphics or a video card? Onboard graphics could be causing a bottleneck/lag if your pc is trying to run BA graphs, plus video from ATR/UK at the same time.

Initially I'd check the hard drive health first for easiness sake, then the clean profile route. Following on I'd try with BA alone, then one of ATR/UK videos running also, then the other and try to see is there a gradual or sudden decline in performance where you reach a breaking point.
If you can narrow it down to where your maximum point is, then you can see is it a limitation you're happy to work with, or should you upgrade some elements of your setup.
Trader_Tom

Thanks a lot for the reply =]

I hadn't considered the graphics cards. I'm running 3 x GT 710's which are about as bog standard as you can get. Would I need to upgrade all 3 of these to get better results?

One thing I hadn't tested was BA without charts up. I got rid of all the charts and it runs clean as a whistle and the CPU usage etc doesn't change one bit which leads me to think you're right about the graphics card.

If it is then I'll need to do plenty of research as buying better ones could be costly and I'm not sure how much better performance I'd need for it to run them smoothly.

All the best,

Tom
Dallas

Euler wrote:Charts tend to be graphic intensive so will stress the CPU unless there is a dedicated GPU
That response was from a similar thread a few months ago
Trader_Tom

Dallas wrote:
Euler wrote:Charts tend to be graphic intensive so will stress the CPU unless there is a dedicated GPU
That response was from a similar thread a few months ago
Cheers Dallas. Any idea how I dedicate a GPU to Bet Angel? I run 3 graphics cards, would it be possible to just upgrade 1 do you think?

Wish I knew more about computers :roll:

Thanks again =]

Return to “Support”