QE3?

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
superfrank

mulberryhawk wrote:The Euro was trading at .90 to sterling last july, it had dropped to .83 by 21st of december when the ltro was announced. It is trading at around the .81 handle as we speak.
that because the banks knew it was coming* and got short the Euro big time.

and so did i - i read it on zerohedge :D
mulberryhawk

classic comeback, i cant argue with that frank :lol:
Iron

Helicopter Ben is up to his old tricks again! From the Telegraph:

The US Fed has twisted again: its monetary stimulus plan, "Operation Twist" will be extended by $267bn in a bid to boost the economy as the central bank still sees weakness.

Jeff
Iron

'In the last six weeks... I am very struck by how much has changed since we produced our May Inflation Report. I am pessimistic [about the eurozone outlook]. I am particularly concerned because over two years now we have seen the situation in the euro area get worse and the problem being pushed down the road.'

Mervyn King today
superfrank

Ferru123 wrote:Helicopter Ben is up to his old tricks again! From the Telegraph:

The US Fed has twisted again: its monetary stimulus plan, "Operation Twist" will be extended by $267bn in a bid to boost the economy as the central bank still sees weakness.

Jeff
they'll be seeing weakness, and printing, for the next 20 years*

* or until it all goes t1ts up.
Iron

Merv heats up the presses again: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/econ ... -50bn.html

The article says that he 'injected a further £50bn into the economy'. That works out at just over £800 per person living in the UK. But I wonder how many people outside of the Square Mile will be even £1 better off as a result of this decision. If Merv is going to kick the can down the road, at least he should do so in style, and use the money to actually stimulate the economy, by having it fund a tax cut...

Jeff
jimrobo

Pretty much combined stimulus announced from around the world at once today.

The uk announcement was one of the smaller ones!!! The public bank of china started it at the same time as the uk announcement, then an hour later the ecb joined the party with their own stimulus.

It has been a strange week in the markets....almost like a ghost town. Markets have been pricing in this stimulus all week with 3 days of heavy buying and light volume then today was like lighting a match on the markets......huge volume from everywhere!!
superfrank

Newsnight's take on Merv's speech today is that an interest rate cut to zero is on its way and that we can expect more QE and also that he "failed to deny that Britain would monetise its debts".

the strategy is failing and their response is to make the strategy more extreme - it's the same as trader doubling up on losing positions with nothing more than hope.
Iron

superfrank wrote:Newsnight's take on Merv's speech today is that an interest rate cut to zero is on its way and that we can expect more QE and also that he "failed to deny that Britain would monetise its debts".
I think it's extremely unlikely that it would come to that. Merv's judgement may be questionable at times, but he must know that for Britain to monitise its debts could plunge the world economy into the kind of tailspin that makes Lehmann Bros look like a walk in the park...

Jeff
superfrank

Ferru123 wrote:I think it's extremely unlikely that it would come to that. Merv's judgement may be questionable at times, but he must know that for Britain to monitise its debts could plunge the world economy into the kind of tailspin that makes Lehmann Bros look like a walk in the park...

Jeff
have to disagree strongly with that Jeff.

imho it's extremely unlikely that they won't monetise the debt, and not just here but in the US, Europe and Japan too.

all the government debt that the central banks have bought with funny money would have to be sold back to the market. i always said that wouldn't happen.

QE Forever And Ever?
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/guest-pos ... r-and-ever
superfrank

Shilling Says Fed Action Won't Make Much Difference
http://www.bloomberg.com/video/shilling ... gi0Ww.html

good vid. good quote from the Dallas FED guy, "monetary ritalin".
Iron

QE could fund a £20bn tax giveaway - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/econ ... eaway.html
superfrank

Ferru123 wrote:QE could fund a £20bn tax giveaway - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/econ ... eaway.html
The Government could fund a £20bn tax giveaway to boost growth next year by releasing the profits made by the Bank of England’s money-printing programme, a leading economist has suggested.
you couldn't make this stuff up!

profits from QE??!! :shock:

let's take a simple example:

- central bank prints another £100Bn

- central bank lends funny money to private banks at 0.5% interest

- private banks buy govt debt yielding 2.5%

- annual 'profit' for BoE £500m

- annual 'profit' for private banks £2Bn

it's just a ponzi scheme.
Iron

superfrank wrote: - central bank lends funny money to private banks at 0.5% interest
Are you sure about that? I thought that the way QE worked was that the B of E credited itself with £x, and then used that money to buy back government debt.

Jeff
superfrank

that's the way the FED and ECB have done it, not sure about BoE.

but it makes no difference - it's still monetising debt and there are no real profits... just dilution of currency and reduced purchasing power of those who hold them. it doesn't matter for your talented bankers who can keep up because they are at the top of the ponzi.

Return to “Trading Financial markets”