Gold

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
Iron

Gold has just reached its highest ever price.

If that chart were of a horse before the off, you'd think it had been foaming at the mouth and wobbling about!

Jeff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

Whenever anything starts skyrocketing I start thinking about shorting it!
Iron

Oil is (unsurprisingly) also skyrocketing.

Jeff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
superfrank

Euler wrote:Whenever anything starts skyrocketing I start thinking about shorting it!
Gold and silver are real money - just wait to see what happens when people lose confidence in paper money which is being printed to oblivian!

oddstrader

Why Warren Buffett Hates Gold

The “Oracle of Omaha” expounded at length today on why he despises the barbarous relic. The sage doesn’t really care if the yellow metal hit an all-time high today of $1,440. He sees it primarily as a bet on fear. If investors are more afraid in a year than they are today, then you make money. If they aren’t, then you lose money.

If you took all the gold in the world, it would form a cube 67 feet on a side, worth $7 trillion. For that same amount of money, you could own other assets with far greater productive power, including:

*All the farmland in the US, about 1 billion acres, which is worth $2.5 trillion.

*Seven Exxon Mobil’s (XOM), the largest capitalized company in the US.

*You would still have $1 trillion in walking around money left over.

Instead of producing any income or dividends, gold just sits there and shines, letting you feel like you are King Midas.

I don’t know. With the stock market peaking around here, and oil trading at $117/barrel in Europe, a bet on fear looks pretty good to me right now. I’m still sticking with my long term forecast of the old inflation adjusted high of $2,300. Even Buffet admits to keeping $30 billion in cash on hand for a rainy day.
Euler

Commodities are good trading vehicles but they make for lousy investments as there is no income stream from them.
superfrank

Euler wrote:Commodities are good trading vehicles but they make for lousy investments as there is no income stream from them.
In "normal" times I would agree with you - but these are not normal times.

How many dividends less tax are beating inflation?

Growth is only achieved in the west these days by exponential increases in debt - that cannot go on forever.

I hold precious metals as an insurance policy - people laugh when you tell them that we could have a hyperflation, but history shows that currency systems don't last forever.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-hype ... ca-2010-9#
RideTheLightning

Geopolitical factors must be taken into account too. Belligerent US/NATO activity in Latin America, the Middle East of course and North Korea all happening at the same time. Invasion into Iran and North Korea will bring China and Russia directly into the "Great Game", as the Anglo-American establishment call it. And make no mistake about it, the only way the US/NATO will win a War in Iran and North Korea is Nuclear War. Gold is the thermometer of war.

Also, China and Russia hold huge amounts of US dollars. Once they sell them it will cause hyperinflation.
CaerMyrddin

No point in doing that. The world's economy is way too connected for that to happen and anyone get any advantage from it imho.
RideTheLightning

As you said the ecomony is already interdependent and connected, so now there is tremendous advantage to the Global elite to finalise the political situation: One world government that is basically all set up and ready to go (UN plus the transnational NGOs). Nuclear War 1 will bring the world's public to their knees and they will beg for it. Also, like in all wars, there is major gains to be made by the Miltary Industrial Complex that fund both sides and therefore control the outcome.
oddstrader

The most useless resource but everyone wants it, produces nothing does nothing but every culture loves it. a bit like katie Price
superfrank

oddstrader wrote:The most useless resource but everyone wants it, produces nothing does nothing but every culture loves it. a bit like katie Price
But the point is that it is genuinely rare and you can't make any more of it. Unlike currencies where trillions can be magically created by central banks at the touch of a button and loaned into existence by primary dealing banks.

Gold and silver have been used as a means of exchange for thousands of years for very good reason.
oddstrader

point taken and well made, its just one of those items in life that i dont understand, it may be precious and limited but its still useless, unless you are trying to attract a member of the opposite :)
superfrank

oddstrader wrote:point taken and well made, its just one of those items in life that i dont understand, it may be precious and limited but its still useless, unless you are trying to attract a member of the opposite :)
pretty useless yeah, but quite beautiful!...

ps. I don't own that, but I wish I did.
Iron

'There is not nearly enough physical gold to satisfy all paper gold in existence by a factor of about 100x'.

From http://www.zerohedge.com/article/golden ... sical-gold

If enough people think 'I don't want a piece of paper saying I own gold. I want the yellow stuff in my safe.' then surely the risk is that there will come a point when people are told 'Sorry, but we can't lay our hands on any gold'. If that happens, we could get the mother of all bursting bubbles...

BTW, gold is still rising in price.

Jeff

Return to “Trading Financial markets”