Gold

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
Iron

superfrank wrote: I despair of the US, and our very own Bernanke, King, will resign before the end of the year IMO - he has failed by any measure.
He has failed, but given the political independence of his post, it wouldn't look good if the government were to sack him.

But I hope Osbourne has the balls to say 'Enough is enough! If the Bank of England are unwilling to execute their responsibility to control inflation by raising interest rates, I'll take the power away from them and do it myself!'.
superfrank wrote:Gold is the ultimate reserve currency and has been for thousands of years.
I do worry about gold. Generally, bubbles burst, and when this one bursts it could cause even greater damage than the sub-prime bubble...

Jeff
Iron

I agree.

I think Cameron could go much further, but if he did, that could shatter the Coalition, so I don't blame him.

Jeff
superfrank wrote:I admire what Cameron is trying to do but Britain is still f*cked whatever they do/achieve.
superfrank

Ferru123 wrote:If the Bank of England are unwilling to execute their responsibility to control inflation by raising interest rates, I'll take the power away from them and do it myself!'.
+1
Ferru123 wrote:Generally, bubbles burst, and when this one bursts it could cause even greater damage than the sub-prime bubble...
-1!

Gold isn't in a bubble. It's just been revalued to it's market price after years undervaluation due to people believing that debt=wealth. It doesn't.
Iron

Undervaluation relative to what? :)

Surely gold has little intrinsic value; like a banknote, it's basically worth what people are willing to exchange for it.

Every day in the horse racing markets, you get horses that go up and up in price. Then often there will come a point where the balance of power shifts from the layer to the backer. The layers who had pushed the price up then panic to get out of their position and start putting in back orders, and the price collapses. Surely the same thing could happen on a much bigger scale with gold.

Jeff
superfrank wrote: Gold isn't in a bubble. It's just been revalued to it's market price after years undervaluation.
superfrank

Ferru123 wrote:Undervaluation relative to what? :)
As a store of wealth.

You can't print gold or silver. It has a finite supply.

History tells us that all currency systems ultimately fail. This time will be no different.
Iron

superfrank wrote:As a store of wealth.
You're relying on gold increasing in price at least at the rate of inflation. Even if there's not a crash, it's not a certain that will happen. What if, for example, several economically powerful countries decide to raise their interest rates? People might decide to sell their gold and buy bonds instead, which could bring the price down.
superfrank wrote:History tells us that all currency systems ultimately fail. This time will be no different.
Sterling has been going for a while, and hasn't failed yet. Ditto the US dollar. :)

Jeff
superfrank

I don't pretend that the price of gold cannot fall, but even if countries raise rates their debt burdens become even greater (and they are huge).

Britain is currently borrowing £400m a day.

The £ and $ have had several different incarnations. They came off the gold standard not so long ago...
Iron

superfrank wrote: Britain is currently borrowing £400m a day.
To clarify, are you talking about taking on extra debt through issuing bonds?

I didn't know we were doing that - it doesn't really make sense at a time when we're trying to cut the national debt...

Jeff
superfrank

Yep.

The average person doesn't know the difference between debt and deficit, and politicians deliberately confuse the 2 (especially the odious Ed Balls who recently compared the budget deficit to a mortgage!).

Even when the budget is in balance (end of parliament on current optimistic forecasts) the national debt will still be growing due to debt interest (currently over £40bn a year).

http://www.debtbombshell.com/
Iron

Thanks Frank - That's an interesting site.

BTW, I think that the growth forecast is a fantasy! Economic theory says that you can only grow an economy through exports, innovation or investment. I just can't see Britain benefiting in a big way from any of those things anytime soon, particularly as the government is keen on penalizing two of its biggest exporting industries - oil and banking.

Jeff
superfrank wrote: Even when the budget is in balance (end of parliament on current optimistic forecasts) the national debt will still be growing due to debt interest (currently over £40bn a year).

http://www.debtbombshell.com/
Iron

Dow Jones Industrial Average ends week at highest level in nearly three years -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/mark ... years.html

Either the US economy is doing far better than most people realise, or this is a bubble waiting to burst...

Jeff
Iron

This cartoon made me laugh: http://www.michaelcovel.com/2011/04/22/ ... /#comments

Jeff
superfrank wrote: The short-termist economic thinking of the west is coming home to roost.

Protect yourselves!
jimrobo

Been told to buy gold next week for another move up. Not looked into it but is a reliable source!
jimrobo

And silver too
Iron

I'd be wary of expert advice, however knowledgeable the expert, as no-one knows what the market will do next. :)

I'm of the trend following school of thought, ie ride the trend when it goes your away, but exit swiftly when the market starts to run away from you. With that approach, you're not making predictions - you're just following the market.

Also, when you look at the gold chart (attached), I'd say it's due for a correction soon. If I were trading it, I'd wait for it to fall and then start to rise again, and buy in the dips.

Jeff
jimrobo wrote:Been told to buy gold next week for another move up. Not looked into it but is a reliable source!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Trading Financial markets”