eToro

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
Euler

Interesting concept but I don't see that 'social' trading will catch on.

http://openbook.etoro.com/#/main/
Iron

You might like http://www.zulutrade.com/

You can post your trades to the site, and your profit or loss is monitored. You can make money if people start to copy your trades.

Jeff
dragontrades

Euler should get an account on etoro so we can copy the stock trades he makes.
You get 2% of your AUM per year as payment.
Euler

You would have been up around 40% last year if I did!
Simonlofc

https://www.copybet.com/ you could do it on BF
Explosivo945

I've been an Etoro user for about 2 years now - I love the platform, much prefer it to IG and several of the other CFD vendors out there.

It's especially good for allowing portfolio diversity into sectors that I don't know a lot about, such as the currency and pharma markets. Most of the "Traders" on there are buy and hold investors, or crypto guys, but if you're willing to look you can often find a lot of people that stick purely to an area of expertise and make decent returns on a yearly basis.

The copy bet site is interesting, however I can't see it working well for sports trading as it would just begin to rapidly distort the market, as the liquidity is so low
ruthlessimon

Explosivo945

I have met almost everyone I have copy money in on that platform, and I even used to work with one of them. I can imagine that there are automated accounts out there but that has not been my experience
xitian

Euler wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:12 pm
You would have been up around 40% last year if I did!
And out of interest, how did that compare to your sports trading total? Which gave you the biggest net profit (let’s include tax as well)?

I’m guessing profit on financials are slightly less consistent through the years though?
xitian

Actually some follow up questions might also be interesting, if you will Peter:

Which one, sport or financial investing was more work (time effort)?

Which one was the bigger cause of stress (mental effort, let’s say)?
Euler

Financials are outstripping sports markets now simply because of the almost unlimited liquidity available. I'm compounding positions so I'm using bigger and bigger stakes as I take new positions. You could easily get into individual positions into tens of millions without a problem. You often get decent dividends on them so passive income is a nice bonus. Still using the sports trading to fund purchase in the market though, so it's a sort of double bubble. I intend to hand over the day to day stuff on the sports to the kids and put my main focus on the big events myself.
Euler

xitian wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:12 pm
Actually some follow up questions might also be interesting, if you will Peter:

Which one, sport or financial investing was more work (time effort)?

Which one was the bigger cause of stress (mental effort, let’s say)?

On sports I just rock up and trade, it's relatively easy to do, but very time consuming when doing it. On the financials I can do it at my leisure but very time consuming in terms of research but I don't have an time or agenda pushed on me. I can decide when I'm in the mood for some digging.

I really see financial market research like being an investigative journalist. I'm constantly researching, digging, poking around looking for information and trying to gain a deep understanding of a business and it's prospects. I'm very much longer term and waiting for an opportuntiy to buy.
Euler

It terms of stress both are stressful to some point or another, but it's all relative. You also learn to get comfortable with using large sums of money. My biggest position in sports last year was about £250k, but in financials much higher. But both can fly around and make you feel uncomfortable at points, but you get used to that and learn to see through it to a much longer term goal.
Euler

I can tell you the biggest problem I have is not stress, making a decision or all those ambiguous things, it's time. It's really hard to balance all the time demands out.
RicHep365

I use etoro for Crypto's, the spreads are terrible, but it's a nice easy way to get involved. I would never use them for stocks though, much better platforms with much better spreads out there.

Plus the stocks on e toro are limited, I run a momentum strategy and most of the stocks I buy aren't available on there.

Return to “Trading Financial markets”