Apple Inc : APPL

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
Euler

superfrank

Patents: Apple wins over Motorola in 'slide-to-unlock' ruling
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17058508

i don't know about you but i find all this Apple litigation stuff a bit insidious. suing because someone copied "slide to unlock"!! it's a bit like Microsoft suing anyone who includes an OK button in their software. Steve Jobs made Apple what is today by using the ideas of others (e.g. the mouse). now they want exclusive rights to everything they ever think of - anti-competitive and hypocritical imho.
A second patent ruling, which covers a method of scrolling through pictures in a photo gallery on mobile device, was also due on Thursday but was postponed by the court.
FFS!
jimrobo

I agree all this patent nonsense is ridiculous but you can't lay all the blame at apples door.

Everyman and his dog is trying to sue apple for exactly the same thing. Motorola already gets a decent chunk of licensed patent money from apple as it is. This is just them trying to balance the scales.
Euler

I think patents are essential for innovation. If you didn't have patents then nobody would invent anything without some sort of protection or else you would go to the time, expense and trouble of inventing only to see others steal your ideas. If you allow this to happen innovation ceases. It becomes too expensive to innovate.

However, I'm not sure that pointing your finger at screen and moving it to the right can really be called an invention!
superfrank

Samsung attacks 'patent law abuse' after Apple win
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19388633
It said that the US court's verdict contrasted "starkly" with decisions made in other countries, including the UK, the Netherlands and Germany.

"History has shown there has yet to be a company that has won the hearts and minds of consumers and achieved continuous growth, when its primary means to competition has been the outright abuse of patent law, not the pursuit of innovation," the memo said.
i realise that many won't have a word said against Apple because they love its pretty products, but the decision smacks of national bias to me.
andyfuller

I was just discussing many of the points made in this piece this morning with someone then read this and found myself agreeing with an awful lot of what is said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19557497

Are they becoming predictable? I think so but hope I am surprised by something tomorrow...
PeterLe

Yes I think they are a bit predictable (and I am a big fan of Apple).
I'm not sure I would be tempted to upgrade mine (I only have the 3gs)..I may be tempted if it has 4G as they are starting the roll out this year :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19543042

Think how that will change courtside trading for instance??

The thing is; You an bet that what ever the spec is, it will almost certainly be a success. It's as if everyone has the have the 'latest and greatest' where Phones are concerned? We went to a wedding at weekend and we sat on a table with about 10 young people (they was all from an industry that doesn't traditionally pay well) but they ALL had the latest iPhones and Samsung's. I felt like mine was a relic!!

regards
Peter
CaerMyrddin

4G will kill your battery quicly, we'll have to wait for a proper battery technology before 4G will be massified.
andyfuller

Unless I have missed a big announcement that seemd a big let down from the worlds biggest company...maybe they should spend more time innovating than suing?
Euler

My contract is up for renewal so it's a possible for me but not a definite. I moved my wife onto a Samsung andriod device from her old 'normal' phone recently so I could have a good look at something else. I had expected more on this announcement TBH.
steven1976

Anyone think Apples stock is a little over valued at the moment? Up 70% this year and the most valuable company of all time. I understand they are a great brand but with a relatively small range of products they really have to stay on the ball to be offering more than similar products in the future.
Euler

I was thinking of shorting it, but I learnt a tough lesson during the dot com boom that you can be 100% right and still lose money. So it will be all about timing it IMHO.
andyfuller

I fully agree, they have begun to stagnate in terms of innovation. As Peter says, all about the timing and I don't think now is the time personally.
superfrank

52 wk-high 702.10
52 wk-low 363.57

Apple's value has roughly doubled in 10 months - it's more to do with all the excess money sloshing around the system that needs to find a home rather than Apple's prospects imho.

the correction in May/June would give cause for hope in shorting, but i agree that shorting atm would be dangerous (it's the value of money that's going down as much as the value of companies going up).
jimrobo

ipad mini about to be released, new imacs in the pipeline, not to mention the apple tv set and the new ipad in january! Plus iphone5 sales through the roof. Not a good time to short apple until there is some slight negative news.

Return to “Trading Financial markets”