Apple Inc : APPL

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
jimrobo

I just picked up a z1 and its excellent! can definitely recommend!
andyfuller

Apple being discussed along with other phone makers on Newsnight in a bit. Apple being predicted to be the next Nokia and Blackberry.
Wainwright

Blackberry and Apple crumble;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24182038
jimrobo

9 million units sold on the first weekend!!! wow!!
steven1976

Going to be some overtime at the factory for the next week or so. :lol:
andyfuller

Good sales indeed - slightly manipulated though compared to previous years by not allowing pre-order of the 5S.

I see Apple more as a dividend yielding stock going forward (queue new all time highs!)
andyfuller

Another some what disappointing launch event I felt last night. I see more market share going to android after it.
jimrobo

to be honest if I bought a new tablet now I'd look at windows and the upcoming nexus 10 over the latest ipad I think. If I wasn't bothered about price I'd probably go straight for a surface pro and get some serious power in there.
andyfuller

Just thought I would share my views on Apple given their earnings report this week.

I still really feel like they need to come up with the next big thing. I understand Tim Cook said they have something big in the pipe line for this year but no one seems to know what though many are talking about it being wearable tech.

I am still far from sold on the idea of wearable tech. Perhaps in the long term it will work out but I just don't see it at the moment. I think the Samsung watch was a complete dud.

If Apple come out with a TV I don't see that changing things massively, a TV, imo, is something that is changed rarely in a household and the next big thing supposedly is 4k which by all accounts is pretty damn impressive. We already have the connected TV which I am sure can be done better than at present but still I don't see it being Apple's new big thing.

The 'cheaper' iPhone was a flop as it was hardly cheaper. Though their sales of iPhones overall was the most yet I believe but it was interesting that the main growth area has been the Mac.

Margins are being tightened as competition increases in the tablet and phone market and I think many other companies are catching up and possibly over taking Apple. Even Jimrobo has left them I believe :o

There has been talk about the improvement in sales of the Microsoft Surface and also talk about Apple currently being like Microsoft in and around 2004.

I am currently reading Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson and it is very interesting to learn about Jobs in greater detail. Still only a little of the way in but Job's comes across imo as a dick, but who could get people to do stuff they otherwise thought they could not. I do admire some of his attributes but I don't think I would particularly wanted to class him as a 'friend' as he seemingly had no issues about screwing you over.

It is also interesting to see the likes of Google investing in these robotics companies and companies like Nest where as Apple don't seem to be doing any such buying despite their huge cash piles. Which makes me think even more that over time they are going to loose more and more to Google et al.

What they plan to do with all the cash is an interesting one, Carl Ichan obviously wants massive share buy back which I can see his argument for. But I think I would sooner see some acquisitions.

Anyway overall I still hold the belief that Apple are slowly losing their way and now more than ever need to come up with the next big thing and it needs to be a big hit. I don't just want to see another version of the iPhone and iPad that are at ever decreasing margins as they face more and more competition in those areas.

Time for Tim Cook to step up to the table with something to take Apple forward before they go backwards.
steven1976

The iPod could soon being discontinued after 26 models. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25927366

I'd imagine they will squeeze a few more iPhones out the door yet :arrow: :D
andyfuller

steven1976 wrote:I'd imagine they will squeeze a few more iPhones out the door yet :arrow: :D
Pretty amazing figures from Apple yesterday. Selling almost 10 iPhones every second for the entire last quarter :shock:

Interesting that iPad sales are on the decline but to be expected I would think due to the fact that they almost made them too good? I still have no need to replace my 'old' iPad unlike mobiles which tend to get replaced much more often. Also with the fact the new bigger phones are starting to become iPad replacements.

I still don't see the iWatch taking off but I don't like watches in general so am a little biased but I really don't see it as being the next step in the tech evolution. I am not really sure where the market is heading.

I recently was looking back in some old emails and found one I had sent to Peter where I mentioned the relatively new iPads and I said I liked them but I couldn't see it replacing my netbook....I recently chucked my netbook away :lol:
Euler

You beat me to it!

I think iPad sales could weaken for a number of reasons, but now I have a iPhone 6+ I've pretty much stopped using my iPad so I think there is a product cross over as well.
steven1976

They squeezed you boys good and proper! Amazing the power of a brand.
BackHighLayLow

I did buy an iPad 4, but all I really do with that is play games on the move, so wouldn't upgrade that until it died, and even then I'd probably upgrade to the cheapest one available at the time. The kids loved it to the point of having to buy them both an iPad mini each for their birthdays, but ditto on the upgrades.

My general take on all things Apple is it's all way overpriced for what it does. And with the number of phones I've lost or dropped down the toilet in life, I wouldn't buy an iPhone at today's prices, so opted for a Nexus 5 last year instead which is a fantastic piece of kit, and ditto on the upgrade to that.

It will be interesting to see what unravels in the coming years, as with all things tech, prices are going to come down, and unless they come up with some new killer thing for the iphone / ipad it wont be many more years they will be able to maintain the prices and margins they are today.

Even the iSheep will be reluctant to pay £500+ when you can get something equivalent or better for a quarter of the price elsewhere.

Return to “Trading Financial markets”