Apple Inc : APPL

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
steven1976

The iPod could soon being discontinued after 26 models. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25927366

I'd imagine they will squeeze a few more iPhones out the door yet :arrow: :D
andyfuller

steven1976 wrote:I'd imagine they will squeeze a few more iPhones out the door yet :arrow: :D
Pretty amazing figures from Apple yesterday. Selling almost 10 iPhones every second for the entire last quarter :shock:

Interesting that iPad sales are on the decline but to be expected I would think due to the fact that they almost made them too good? I still have no need to replace my 'old' iPad unlike mobiles which tend to get replaced much more often. Also with the fact the new bigger phones are starting to become iPad replacements.

I still don't see the iWatch taking off but I don't like watches in general so am a little biased but I really don't see it as being the next step in the tech evolution. I am not really sure where the market is heading.

I recently was looking back in some old emails and found one I had sent to Peter where I mentioned the relatively new iPads and I said I liked them but I couldn't see it replacing my netbook....I recently chucked my netbook away :lol:
Euler

You beat me to it!

I think iPad sales could weaken for a number of reasons, but now I have a iPhone 6+ I've pretty much stopped using my iPad so I think there is a product cross over as well.
steven1976

They squeezed you boys good and proper! Amazing the power of a brand.
BackHighLayLow

I did buy an iPad 4, but all I really do with that is play games on the move, so wouldn't upgrade that until it died, and even then I'd probably upgrade to the cheapest one available at the time. The kids loved it to the point of having to buy them both an iPad mini each for their birthdays, but ditto on the upgrades.

My general take on all things Apple is it's all way overpriced for what it does. And with the number of phones I've lost or dropped down the toilet in life, I wouldn't buy an iPhone at today's prices, so opted for a Nexus 5 last year instead which is a fantastic piece of kit, and ditto on the upgrade to that.

It will be interesting to see what unravels in the coming years, as with all things tech, prices are going to come down, and unless they come up with some new killer thing for the iphone / ipad it wont be many more years they will be able to maintain the prices and margins they are today.

Even the iSheep will be reluctant to pay £500+ when you can get something equivalent or better for a quarter of the price elsewhere.
steven1976

Better look after the nexus 5 as they have gone all up market on the nexus 6 pricing at around 500-550 pounds. :lol: although i agree, not much difference in top spec phones and tabs these days. I like my chinese lenovo phones whilst all the chinese go mad buying iphones.
andyfuller

steven1976 wrote:I like my chinese lenovo phones whilst all the chinese go mad buying iphones.
I would like to get my hands on a Chinese Xiaomi phone. They sound good for the price, amazing they are the world's third largest phone maker yet I only heard about them recently!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiaomi
leesnose

I recently bought an iuni u2 from china & it is a ridiculous piece of kit for the money, I have no idea how they can stay in business.

A company called jiayu are releasing some really well made 64-bit android phones for less than £200. Stupid to think that I could get of those & a PS4 for less than an iphone would cost me.
superfrank

Apple's huge profits simply illustrate how much people are overpaying for products with built-in obsolescence.

Got a nice new 4g android phone with retina display for £10 - just request a PAC code from your current operator then wait for the call from the "most favoured customer/loyalty" department and they'll offer you pretty much anything to stay (except for Apple stuff). half-price contract too.

i love deflation ;)
Euler

Apple set to replace AT&T in the DJIA

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31761573
gazuty

Good explanation in this video for Apple success.

http://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_ho ... ire_action
andyfuller

Cheers for the link. Interesting watch. I recommend you read Steve Jobs if you haven't though it is a big one at ~600 pages:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steve-Jobs-Excl ... 34914043X/
andyfuller

So the Apple Watch, not the iWatch is being launched today.

What are people's views on it? I still can't see the appeal of such devices. Listening to Wake up to money this morning the guest's arguments for why you need one were utterly unconvincing, she described basically everything you can do with your phone already.

I do not see the watch replacing the phone and as such I don't see it as being a success.

There is a lot of talk about the fitness things you can do with it but I think the fitness monitoring stuff is also a fad and has little real benefit.

All in all I am far from convinced that the Apple Watch will do for the watch what the iPhone did for the mobile market.

I look forward to being wrong!
Euler

Depends if it includes health related features perhaps?

Could replace a GPS watch and do all that other stuff. I've yet to be convinced, but I do love gadgets.
steven1976

I got the Samsung gear 2 when it came out and can say that it was rubbish. Became even more rubbish when I cracked my screen on my note 2, as half the apps sync with that. I bought it mainly to try the fitness apps but it didnt seem accurate and seemed to keep stopping at will.

I'll not be going for another watch option in the near future.

Return to “Trading Financial markets”