Apple Inc : APPL

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
Euler

I love what Apple have done and I use a lot of Apple devices now which was just not a prospect a few years ago, but I think history could be about to repeat itself.

Their biggest strength is the amount of apps, that will stop some people from switching. But have a look at these two adverts many years apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... f5-Prx19ZM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm7gLKZc ... ature=plcp

I think the faster lifecycle of competitors will eventually erode their position. I'm still on the lookout for a shorting opportunity.
steven1976

Thought this was quite good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeterLe

steven1976 wrote:Thought this was quite good.
Ha ha funny! :D
jimrobo

the maps are a major fail!

Luckily google maps are releasing their maps as a standalone app you can download. Its already been submitted for the app store according to an article I read over the weekend.
andyfuller

What happens when you stick an iPhone 5 to the floor:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... loor-.html

The video is quite amusing, love how people try to look innocent loitering around then casual bend down to pick it up thinking no one is watching :lol:
Euler

Played with somebodies else's iPhone5 over a breakfast meeting this morning. I actually quite liked it, much lighter than my iPhone 4.
andyfuller

The opening weekend sales disappointed, though still 5 million units sold! Share price is down today.
steven1976

Foxconn, apples major supplier temporarily closed due to 2000 staff rioting. Just speculating, but im going for staff being pushed by the chinese owners on extra long hours whilst apple turn a blind eye. Its quite common in Asia for staff to be given the choice of work the long over time hrs or dont work at all option.
andyfuller

iPad mini due for launch today, Steve Jobs must be turning in his grave:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-20040540

Apple are about 11% off their all time highs from mid September. I still see them as a long term short myself.
Euler

I upgraded to the latest iPad last week and I am loving it. But the new maps are just terrible, they really need to sort that out pronto. It's a slur on Apple's reputation for quality and design.
andyfuller

Euler wrote:I upgraded to the latest iPad last week.
Hope you kept the receipt! Can't believe they announced another version so soon and with such a relatively minor upgrade.

Apple profits miss expectations on slower ipad sales

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20091054

I am not convinced everyone was waiting for the iPad mini, there are decent other devices that it is competiting with and they are priced more attractively. I know a couple of people who were waiting for it but we're disappointed with the price point. IMO Apple have got it wrong with the mini, but I am no Steve Jobs!

Edit: Just read that Amazons best selling product was the Kindle Fire HD in the last quarter.
steven1976

I wish someone would make a phone that is half way between the galaxy note size and the 7 inch tablets. I recon that would be a winner as it would fit comfortably in the pocket and have a good screen size to easily read when out and about. Ive had a Dell Streak since they first came out and love it and now just waiting for something a little bigger screen wise and would go for it whether apple, google or windows.
As for apple, I still see them as a long time short as well. I can see samsung stinging them on some silly patent they can get their hands on saying somethign like no one else can have a touch screen or something as equally insane. Also I recon microsoft for a long term short as well.
Euler

andyfuller wrote:
Euler wrote:I upgraded to the latest iPad last week.
Hope you kept the receipt! Can't believe they announced another version so soon and with such a relatively minor upgrade.
Yeah bummer isn't it? But not entirely unexpected in the world of IT. My old iPad was crumbling and I need a new one before I went on my travels. Doesn't look like it was much of an upgrade but such is life. Would have been nice, but I couldn't delay the purchase.

I'll be interested to look at the mini, but I don't think its for me.

One thing with shorting companies is that if growth is maintained, in any form, then by default the valuation will catch up with the price eventually. So you really need to see a collapse in prospects for a short to work well in a fast growing company. Definitely would be nervous if I was long though.

With the amount of capital they have you would think they should be unstoppable. But this maps issue is cause for concern. They clearly got it wrong but despite having huge resources they don't appear to be correcting the error very quickly.

Arrogance leads to complacency and complacency, failure.
Euler

Return to “Trading Financial markets”