BITCOIN as an alternative to regular currency

LinusP

ec0n0mist wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:42 pm
CallumPerry wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:28 pm
Interested to know trader's thoughts on Ripple, known as xrp. Had a little look but still have quite basic knowledge, a child's (who I tutor once a week) father has recently put a few hundred down with some guys at work for an investment.

Any worth short/mid/long term in your opinion?
As a trader I like XRP. TA works quite well on it (even on smaller time frames i.e.3-30 mins), as do most large caps. From a consumer's POV, I'm philosophically against everything Ripple stands for. It still boggles the mind as to why their community is growing as fast as it is. BTW, Ripple is the technology company, XRP is the token (cryptocurrency). They are not the same thing in spite of what most will have you believe. Secondly, Ripple's success does not depend on XRP's survival. Even if it did, why would XRP's price need to go up for it to work? It doesn't. XRP is a shit-coin through and through. [That's not to say money can't be made. However, 'Investment' or 'HODL' approach is not a strategy I'd recommend when it comes to XRP].

It's been rumoured for some time now, that banks are planning to turn Ripple into a segmented global network, essentially substituting SWIFT to an extent. This hasn't happened yet. In fact, a number of banks have outright declined such claims.
The issue is that swift is very much embedded into everything the banks do, even updating to MX message formats has been met with resistance to the point that the underlying data structure (xml) is now out of date and it hasn’t even been rolled out yet!

I just don’t see how ripple can do it to be honest.
PDC

Euler wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:14 pm
I wonder who bought in at the top of these cryptocurrencies?
$4,000 didn't take long to breach. There was a bit of a feature on Saturday's BBC Money Box on Bit Coin and the guest still sees it hitting $500,000 in the next few years :shock: Good luck with that!

Money Box along with a lot of media heavily covered Bit Coin in the lead up to the pop, I would suspect a lot of older, 50's+ were buying in, this was the impression I got from listening to shows such as Money Box this time last year as it was being talked about as an 'investment'. I know a few people at my gym started to talk to me about how they were 'investing' in it this time last year and how they were going to make a killing, I suggested at the time they didn't and any money they were putting in they could afford to lose. I know one guy who actually gave up his well paid job to trade bitcoin. He doesn't come to the gym anymore ;)

This was a good tweet I saw last week:

Morgan Housel
@morganhousel
Thanksgiving 2016: tell everyone about tech stocks.

2017: tell everyone about crypto.

2018: tell everyone about tax loss harvesting.

:lol:
Naffman

If Bitcoin gets to $500 then I think it's worth thinking about, up until then though it'll be good to watch it plummet with all the others.
Zenyatta

I don't think we've hit bottom yet. I predicted the bust and guessed a bottom of between $1 000-$2 000 for Bitcoin way back when in this thread. It remained stable for longer than I thought though, holding at $6K for quite a while before plunging again. Let's see... 8-)
Lutruwita

Zenyatta wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:13 am
I don't think we've hit bottom yet. I predicted the bust and guessed a bottom of between $1 000-$2 000 for Bitcoin way back when in this thread. It remained stable for longer than I thought though, holding at $6K for quite a while before plunging again. Let's see... 8-)
Mate, I can assure you that you have next to NFI.
Euler

Ethereum now 92.5% below all-time high.
Zenyatta

Aarondewit wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:53 am
Zenyatta wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:13 am
Mate, I can assure you that you have next to NFI.
Things seem to be going exactly the way I predicted mate...
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/07/inve ... index.html
denialthomus2

Hello,

Elective monetary forms will be types of trade that people and associations may use rather than ordinary monetary standards, for example, pounds, dollars, and euros, or close by them. They can be made by nearly anybody, including people, companies and country states. The key point is that a more extensive network needs to see an incentive in the money, which means it'll secure esteem.

Such monetary forms have created for a wide assortment of reasons, incorporating into a reaction to money related emergencies, to encourage wrongdoing and as answers for nearby, social as well as natural issues.

In spite of the fact that they're as yet a to some degree specialty thought, certain monetary standards, for example, Bitcoin are outstanding and acknowledged by organizations around the globe.

Thanks!
DeepWire9

Guys, what do you think about cryptocurrency subsidence? I sit in a drawdown throughout the year and everyone is constantly talking about growth, although nothing happens
eightbo

Classic confirmation bias in action. People like the idea of having picked a winner.

I suspect that if blockchain does catch on in a big way, it will take longer than most holders like to envision.
fahivechh

Bitcoin is not an alternative to currency and never has been. Bitcoin is a good way to buy something without paying taxes, and something in a dark market. You can also trade it, but it’s better to use other cryptocurrencies for this, plus you can also use bots as from my list - best crypto trading bot (if I get a commission from them if that :D :D :D )
weemac

Just spotted Bitcoin cash price fell 35% in the space of 2 hours this morning. I wonder why the sudden move.
Euler

So much for it being a hedge on 'normal' assets!
Euler

21:30

-28.77%

$5.6k

Curiously, Bitcoin, indexes, Gold, Oil all down.

Return to “Cryptocurrency”