BITCOIN as an alternative to regular currency

RicHep365

mobius wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:13 am
Dunno where to put this one -Chart of the day?; Gambling Guv health warnings?; FOBT?, Bitcoin?
or tax return deadline? If you have shares in Capita, you're gonna have to redo your tax returns.

Gosh! I do so like my GeeGees. Does the stock market have a rule 4?

And as per usual, it wasn't me! Some other bloke did it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.theguardian.com/business/li ... iness-live

Capita shares hit 15-year low after shock profits warning - business live

shock profits warning - business live
Major UK outsourcing group stuns City with profits warning, as new CEO admits the company is too complex and freezes its shareholder dividend

10.30am: Shares down 42% at 15-year low

GOOOOD MOOOORNNING VIETNAM!
Nasty, I interviewed there not long ago, glad I didn't take it further
Euler

A lot of people went short Capita when Carillion got into trouble, similar business model.
Zenyatta

10K psychological barrier breached as Bitcoin falls. Panic selling now as Bitcoin in a terrifying plunge...every-one wants out but no one to sell to :lol:

https://www.coindesk.com/price/
Dallas

Zenyatta wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:58 am
10K psychological barrier breached as Bitcoin falls. Panic selling now as Bitcoin in a terrifying plunge...every-one wants out but no one to sell to :lol:

https://www.coindesk.com/price/
Your call back in Dec was spot on ;)
cyxstudio

i think the reason why bitcoin falls is because the expectation of a hike in US interest rates.

i went on twitter and other forums to tell people this but no one is interested... what do you all think?
marksmeets302

If interest rates rise people move out of bonds with long durations to shorter ones, and ultimately to cash. If bitcoin is considered an alternative to cash, it would be logical that more money flows into it, not out. My personal opinion is people are moving out of cryptos because their feeling changed from optimistic to pessimistic. Experiencing losses does that to you.
cyxstudio

marksmeets302 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:26 pm
If interest rates rise people move out of bonds with long durations to shorter ones, and ultimately to cash. If bitcoin is considered an alternative to cash, it would be logical that more money flows into it, not out. My personal opinion is people are moving out of cryptos because their feeling changed from optimistic to pessimistic. Experiencing losses does that to you.
it is an alternative to fiat currency, not cash. the US interest rates hike is on fiat currency, holding crypto do you no good as bitcoin has no 'interest rates'
marksmeets302

That's my point. Holding a stack of US dollars doesn't give you any interest either. (Bring that stack of cash to the bank and now you have bought a short term bond, it's no longer cash)
LinusP

cyxstudio wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:23 am
i think the reason why bitcoin falls is because the expectation of a hike in US interest rates.

i went on twitter and other forums to tell people this but no one is interested... what do you all think?
I don't think the price has any relevance to anything other than speculation. I have friends who invested in various shitcoins last year and thought it was great, as marksmeets has mentioned they are now having to stomach losses and they don't like it!
RicHep365

What I find interesting about Crypto currencies is that the amateur investors that are getting involved seem to have a completely different attitude to your traditional investor. They are absolutely convinced by the tech and don't seem to care about the price fluctuations. They are resolute with this 'HODL' business, all seem convinced that the price crashes are caused by 'Whales' and market manipulation and constantly talk of buying the dips.

Makes me wonder whether another bubble could form, irrespective of the calamity that has taken place.
cyxstudio

RicHep365 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:26 pm
What I find interesting about Crypto currencies is that the amateur investors that are getting involved seem to have a completely different attitude to your traditional investor. They are absolutely convinced by the tech and don't seem to care about the price fluctuations. They are resolute with this 'HODL' business, all seem convinced that the price crashes are caused by 'Whales' and market manipulation and constantly talk of buying the dips.

Makes me wonder whether another bubble could form, irrespective of the calamity that has taken place.
yes thats true. over the long period of time (50-100 years) your fiat would be devalued beyond recognition. bitcoin has a supply cap so its value will retain in the grand scheme of things assuming it doesnt get replaced.

bitcoin is just like antiques or art paintings. The older they get the more value it has because there is simply only 1 of such kind in the world. Thats why people HODL.
cyxstudio

marksmeets302 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:05 pm
That's my point. Holding a stack of US dollars doesn't give you any interest either. (Bring that stack of cash to the bank and now you have bought a short term bond, it's no longer cash)
bitcoin isnt a bond, why would cash flow into it?
marksmeets302

:-) Read again. When interest rates rise, people get OUT of bonds, and into bills (short term bonds) or cash.
cyxstudio

marksmeets302 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:05 pm
:-) Read again. When interest rates rise, people get OUT of bonds, and into bills (short term bonds) or cash.
yea... bitcoin isnt short term bonds.
marksmeets302

cyxstudio wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:07 pm
marksmeets302 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:05 pm
yea... bitcoin isnt short term bonds.
It's more like cash than like bills or bonds, since it doesn't pay interest. So in reaction to your statement that the price of bitcoin goes down because of rising interest rates, I gave arguments that the opposite should have happened. It didn't and therefore I think there is no relation.

Return to “Cryptocurrency”