Royal Mail float

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
Euler

Looks a bargain!

P/E ratio - 6.5 to 8.3
Expected dividend yield - 6.1pc to 7.7pc
Dividend cover - Two times
Interest cover - Four times
Leverage - 65pc
switesh

General question:
Am I right in thinking that IPO's are much more likely to be flipped for tech companies (because of hype & perception), than they are for business like this one that has are shall we say not 'cutting-edge'?
Euler

Royal Mail shares 'seven times over-subscribed'

No surprise really, just have to wait for a paltry allocation now. I would imagine you will see institutions buying in when it floats.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24462388
Lagos

It will be interesting to see how they calculate the scaling back.
If you apply for £750 you may get the lot, but if you go for £50K it will probably be a fraction of that or maybe even nothing!

Mid point on the IG quote is up to £4.04 just hope I get a few.
superfrank

hardly surprising that they're massively over-subscribed given the current interest rate environment, and the fact that public assets have historically been sold off on the cheap.

investors have no cause for complaint - they've been given masses of public money (indirectly) since the financial crisis started.
Euler

Small investors will be favoured in the privatisation of the Royal Mail, at the expense of those seeking a large allocation, the BBC has learned.

Anyone who subscribed for the minimum entitlement of £750 will receive 100% of their application, according to BBC business editor Robert Peston.

But those who have applied for £10,000 worth of shares or more, will not receive any, he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24471622
andyfuller

UPDATE 1740

The allocation of shares turns out to be very simple. If you've applied for up to £10,000 of shares, you will get £750 worth of shares. It is no more complicated than that.

And the appetite from investment institutions for these things turns out to be enormous. They put up money worth a staggering 20 times the value of the shares on offer to them.

So on my calculation, retail and institutional investors offered £27bn for shares priced at £1.7bn (as I mentioned earlier, retail investors offered 7 times the value of shares allocated to them).

The argument about whether Royal Mail was priced too cheaply will run and run.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24470086
Lagos

There is something quite pleasing about that, everyone got the same unless you did multiple applications or were greedy.
andyfuller

Private investors cashing out - 49.2% of all trades in RMG so far today have been for 227 shares. Average price has been 445.15p
hgodden

Lagos wrote:There is something quite pleasing about that, everyone got the same unless you did multiple applications or were greedy.
Or unless you're a hedge fund and are allowed to shovel up loads of them. No wonder the city makes up nearly a third of tory funding :!:
Euler

I think it's been interesting watching the debate about the float.

Lots of people saying don't buy it, it's ours already. But so is nearly £2Tr in liabilities but people don't seem to care much for taking responsibility for that side of the national balance sheet.
superfrank

How banks broke promises and raked in a £323m fortune
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ro ... 26885.html
...big investors who were offered extra shares in a “gentleman’s agreement” to stay in for the long term sold them almost instantly at a vast profit
every man and his dog knew that the shares were being sold on the cheap - the banks got preferential treatment and then flipped them. the City's "talent" is for lining their own pockets at the expense of taxpayers, real businesses and the real economy.

Return to “Trading Financial markets”