Twitter

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
Iron

'SOCIAL networking site Twitter is coming to the New York Stock Exchange having never made a profit.

The dotcom boom of a decade ago was an example of extreme investor confidence when some companies’ valuations were based on the number of clicks their websites got, and had little or no relation to their profits or revenue.

Twitter is expected to list with a valuation of up to $15.3bn (£9.5bn), and spread-better IG thinks this could reach $23.8bn once trading in the shares begins.'

From http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/mark ... risky.html

This strikes me as insane.

How are Twitter going to make the kind of money needed to justify that kind of price tag? I've sent out over 6,000 tweets, but to my knowledge Twitter hasn't made a penny from me. Unless Twitter dramatically changes its site (and risks losing customers to eager rivals), I don't see how it's going to become a cash cow...

Jeff
Iron

Twitter shares priced at $26 each - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24843664

'Twitter shares have been priced at $26 ahead of its debut on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) on Thursday.

That is above the $23 to $25 range announced on Monday and values the short messaging service at more than $18bn (£11bn).'

Jeff
Euler

I like Twitter as it allows you to communicate quickly key chunks of information. But how much that is worth is a different thing.

I think the model for advertising is flawed as advertisers generate followers which can be mined by competitors. We discovered this when we started to build followers, competitors jumped on our lists and even copied our tweets to build their own lists, so it's a flawed business.

Just follow us on twitter if you want to see how many people are mining our lists. I do it all the time under an alias so I can see what people are doing. I wouldn't spend any money advertising on twitter.
Euler

Opens at $45.10 on the NYSE
herbie

I bet everyones twittering about that...I wonder if a correction will happen before the days out. I feel they might lure in all the retail investors the slam it back down
Iron

Quite dramatic price moves today - http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-11-0 ... open-price

I wonder whether investor euphoria caused the initial upward move, and the big boys decided to end the party when it the stock became ridiculously over-priced.

Jeff
Iron

According to Wikipedia, 'In early 2008, Nielsen Online had ranked Classmates as number three in unique monthly visitors (U.S. home, work) among social networking sites'.

It's now at 2,393 in the Alexa rankings.

It's hard to see how the investors who reckon that Twitter is worth about $35 billion can be confident that Twitter (#10 on Alexa) won't suffer a similar fate...

Jeff
Iron

Return to “Trading Financial markets”