Tech Bubble

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
PeterLe

I was involved with a dot com in 2000...the first day of trading saw its valuation go up nearly 250m! They only had one office and a relative small setup! At the time I thought it was crazy and didnt make sense..still doesnt
andyfuller

It seems a lot of the valuations are based upon the companies being bought out by the likes of Google, Facebook or Microsoft.

GoPro being a case in point!
Euler

I think you have a trading strategy there Andy!

Microsoft have now bought Linked in for $26bn. Interesting comments on the reasons: -

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/14/busin ... .html?_r=2

I actually owned some Linkedin as I think it's a game changer and recruitment companies are toast unless they radically change. I have a low opinion of most agencies I've dealt with but it's easy to find good people on Linkedin.
andyfuller

I'll be honest I didn't see Linkedin being a potential target. I don't particularly 'get' the company and don't see it as such a game changer as you do Peter. It seems I am missing something, but I think if I was a Microsoft shareholder I wouldn't be hugely impressed with the deal especially with it being all cash. I don't think it is another Nokia for them though but I don't see it adding the value they think it will.

Another company I just don't get the current valuation of is Snapchat - I know I am not the target audience for it but it really does seem overvalued to me.

Just get a rumour going that parents are all over it and it will soon be departed by the 'youth'.
charcoline

They're still bubble
I'll be honest I didn't see Linkedin being a potential target. I don't particularly 'get' the company and don't see it as such a game changer as you do Peter. It seems I am missing something, but I think if I was a Microsoft shareholder I wouldn't be hugely impressed with the deal especially with it being all cash. I don't think it is another Nokia for them though but I don't see it adding the value they think it will.
Yep, i'm not happy with the fact that Linkedin was bought by Microsoft. See what Microsoft did with Nokia (my favorite brand). they ruined Nokia. However luckily, Facebook didn't buy Linkedin and turn it into another mess like what they turned Instagram into a chaotic market.
andyfuller

charcoline wrote:Yep, i'm not happy with the fact that Linkedin was bought by Microsoft. See what Microsoft did with Nokia (my favorite brand). they ruined Nokia. However luckily, Facebook didn't buy Linkedin and turn it into another mess like what they turned Instagram into a chaotic market.
I don't think you can blame Microsoft for ruining Nokia - imo Nokia did a pretty good job of that themselves. They just got left behind as technology and how people use mobiles moved on, much like Blackberry.

Instagram imo was a very good purchase by Facebook and I think they have done really well with it and will continue to do so.
charcoline

andyfuller wrote:
charcoline wrote:Yep, i'm not happy with the fact that Linkedin was bought by Microsoft. See what Microsoft did with Nokia (my favorite brand). they ruined Nokia. However luckily, Facebook didn't buy Linkedin and turn it into another mess like what they turned Instagram into a chaotic market.
I don't think you can blame Microsoft for ruining Nokia - imo Nokia did a pretty good job of that themselves. They just got left behind as technology and how people use mobiles moved on, much like Blackberry.

Instagram imo was a very good purchase by Facebook and I think they have done really well with it and will continue to do so.
Of course, i consider they're all good deal for both sides. Good purchase but bad operation, you know. I really loved Nokia but Nokia with Windows Phone OS.

Return to “Trading Financial markets”