Oil - WTI / Brent Crude

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
Euler

$66

Betfair should have a market on it
THENUTS

buffet.jpg

The question is how do you define the point where others are fearful on the short side ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

Some additional background reading: -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/oilp ... -dies.html
98lewisj

Euler wrote:$66

Betfair should have a market on it
+1 get on to them.
steven1976

Someone tell the airlines about it.
fuel surcharge.jpg

I know they buy their fuel in advance but I doubt they will be giving a fuel deduction bonus in 6 months time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Euler

£60 for the flight?
steven1976

Yeah, air pikey (air Asia). Its only an hours flight. Cheaper coming back on nokair and the birds are better (in case letiss is ever flying in Asia)!

Just pointing out the airlines with their sneaky add ons. AirAsia are actually in the whole very good with not to many charges.
steven1976

Thats with premium seat as well which is an extra 8quid for a quick sharp exit!
steven1976

Anyway, back to the oil. If you wanted to get on the futures or whatever they are called, what would be the best way to buy at todays price? Im always worried about knowing if someone/company is trust worthy being so close to some big con artists in the stock game so never know where to start.
marksmeets302

Short answer: Get an account at a broker, buy/sell futures or etc's.

Long answer: try interactive brokers. They have low costs and you can trade just about anything, except for most european bonds. They are one of the bigger brokers out there, seem to be trustworthy and the money you have in your account is covered by fdic up to 250K. The equities in your account are yours - they cannot touch them unless you have an agreement for stock borrowing & lending. Comes with a really nice dashboard they call trader workstation. From there, you buy or sell whatever you want. So, there you have to make the choice of what to trade. There are many sorts of futures. For instance on wti and brent. The brent crude future on ICE has a multiplier of 1000. That means that with a single contract you control about $65000 worth of oil. Don't worry about getting a thousand barrels delivered to your back yard, interactive brokers will close the position for you before expiration.

If $65K is too much bang for your buck, have a look at ETCs (exchange traded commodities). They act more or less the same as stocks and are available in smaller quantities. DBO is a popular etc for oil. You can short them as well, so you can speculate on further decline in value.
THENUTS

steven1976 wrote:Anyway, back to the oil. If you wanted to get on the futures or whatever they are called, what would be the best way to buy at todays price? .
http://www.ig.com/uk/welcome-to-ig
steven1976

Thanks Mark,
Have you used interactive brokers yourself and taken money out of the account?

Im not bothered about trading it myself. I just want to buy something at the moment that i would be happy to put at the back of my mind and leave for a few years. Im just worried of boiler room type scenarios, as i've never bought stock or traded contracts. So im just looking for the easiest confirmed trust worthy way of doing it with out it being complicated.

Ste
steven1976

THENUTS wrote:
steven1976 wrote:Anyway, back to the oil. If you wanted to get on the futures or whatever they are called, what would be the best way to buy at todays price? .
Have you used these Thenutts?

Ste
marksmeets302

I've used interactive brokers for ten to fifteen years now, and am really happy with them. Yes, I have withdrawn quite a bit of money already. No problems. They sailed through 2008 without a hiccup.

If you want to buy and hold oil, go for an ETC.
THENUTS

steven1976 wrote:
THENUTS wrote:
Have you used these Thenutts?

Ste
yes - for many years - they are one of the big boys in financial spread betting. You dont actually have direct market access and someone else is not taking the other side of your bet directly , it all goes through IG Index. The spreads are tight and they just skim their bit in the spread rather than you pay commission. The easiest way in my opinion to take a punt on oil if thats what you want to do - very easy to open account - stick in some money and away you go.

Return to “Trading Financial markets”