Which is more likely

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
Tanden

Hi marksmeets302

There is a slight mistake in your sequences containing HTH

You have included THTT which, of course, doesn't contain HTH

So your example comes up with the same answer for both
Tanden

Hi again gazuty

Interesting thread and I actually agree with you but am wondering if the original wording sounds too much like the following scenario...

Toss a coin and write down the resulting sequence and then circle every occurrence of HTT and HTH.

If you did that, I say you would find the same number of occurrences.

However, if you didn't have a whole sequence to examine after it occurred but, instead, you had one person counting the HTT's as they happened and another counting the HTH's as they happened there would be fewer HTH's.

I still think even with that description there is room for ambiguity but I am trying not to give too much of the game away myself.
gazuty

Ive edited an earlier post with the solution. Disputations welcome (but I am very confident).
xitian

gazuty wrote:If Gazuty loses (because Kate flipped a H), Gazuty is a minimum 2 flips away from a victory. When he loses Gazuty has the starting H of the next possible winning sequence.

If Markmeets loses (because Kate flipped a T), Markmeets is a minimum 3 flips away from victory.
I was originally thinking along these lines too. But in the first case, you are BOTH only 2 flips away from victory. And in the second case, you are BOTH still 3 flips away from victory.

I don't see how that makes either one more likely, unless I've missed something?
xitian

I was kinda curious so I ran a quick monte carlo simulation in Excel:
1. Generate a column of 1 / 0 using RAND()
2. Next column checks for last three being 101
3. Next column checks for last three being 100
4. Filled down 30,000 rows (as that's all I could be bothered to do!)
5. Refreshed sheet about 30 times to generate a total of around 1,000,000 flips.

Totals:
101 - 127760
100 - 127267
A discrepancy of around 0.3%.

What was the TED talk that you mentioned earlier? Perhaps either we've misunderstood it, or we're misinterpreting the point.
marksmeets302

Thanks tanden, I saw my mistake after a double espresso.

I like the solution, but there's something nagging... I just wrote a program that generates a million sequences of length 1000, and checks how many times I win, and how many times Gazuty wins. This is the result:

hthwin: 485016
httwin: 489799
(the rest are ties)

Gazuty wins! His edge is small though and I wonder if statistics would say it is significant. I'm still a bit confused.

That said, since Kate Upton is involved I'd say we're both winners. Keep these puzzles coming, I love them!
Last edited by marksmeets302 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marko236

Is it because they both start with H, which means through random you have a better chance of T coming out twice?
Tanden

Hi xitian

I don't want to step all over gazuty's thread but as he was going to sleep I'll see if I can explain.

He can tell me where I go wrong later!

In the imaginary game the rules would say that each player can only use each letter once but if player1 uses a letter that doesn't prevent player2 from also using it.

So as soon as there is an HTH that's a win for Marksmeets but he is not allowed to reuse the H at the end of that sequence because he has already used it.

However, Gazuty hasn't yet used that H so is already one step closer to getting HTT.

When there is an HTT that's a win for Gazuty but the last T is of no use to Marksmeets and so overall Gazuty has a slight advantage.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To me, that makes the game seem biased but another way of looking at it is...

Scenario 1...

Write out 2 identical copies of a sequence of coin tosses
Give one copy to Gazuty and one to Marksmeets
Ask each player to circle every occurrence of their pattern
I say each player will find the same number of occurrences
(This is what the guy's who have written simulations have found)

Scenario 2...

Write out 2 identical copies of a sequence of coin tosses
Give one copy to Gazuty and one to Marksmeets
Ask each player to physically cut out each occurrence of their pattern
This time, Gazuty (HTT) will find the same number of occurrences as in Scenario 1
However, Marksmeets (HTH) will find fewer occurrences

The reason is that sometimes there will be a sequence like HTHTH

If you circle the HTH's you can circle 2 occurrences although they overlap (positions 123 and 345)

But when you have to cut out the occurrences you can only get one of them

The HTT's can never overlap each other and so you always find all occurrences

If you want to confirm this in a simulation then you will have to add a column that disallows any coin tosses that have already been used.

So if column X tests for the required pattern then cell X4 might say something like...
=if(or(X2=1,X3=1),0,{test for pattern})
xitian

Hi Tanden,

Good points there. I agree it's totally about what the rules are. In the second case I also think that the rules are simply biased! Subtle difference though, and makes you realise how a small modification to something can have a big impact. That's definitely something I've learnt over the years and very applicable to trading and systems.
Euler

This is one of a few things I pull out as party pieces.

There are several clever things you can do to lead people to jump on what is surely a random event, but when their money is gone they can't prove in any way that it wasn't random.

I won't spoil it.

There are some really clever bits of maths and psychology you can use in random events to give yourself a better chance. I attended a charity ball recently and won a stack of prizes and then gave them back to the charity to raffle, after a half drunk speech on how life isn't as random as people often think it is and to be aware of that.

It was a slight swipe at people who invited me with some angst after learning of the nature of my business. My wife was suitably embarrassed and was pretty chuffed at myself.
Lost The Rider

There are some really clever bits of maths and psychology you can use in random events to give yourself a better chance
At the end of Deal Or No Deal (or any gameshow) the question of should you switch boxes being my favourite example of this.

Its a 50/50 chance.... isn't it.....
spreadbetting

Lost The Rider wrote:
There are some really clever bits of maths and psychology you can use in random events to give yourself a better chance
At the end of Deal Or No Deal (or any gameshow) the question of should you switch boxes being my favourite example of this.

Its a 50/50 chance.... isn't it.....
Deal or No deal isn't an example of the Monty Hall problem, Noel doesn't open a box at the end to increase your odds. Only advantage in opening the other box is the crap odds the banker offers.
marko236

Euler wrote:This is one of a few things I pull out as party pieces.

There are several clever things you can do to lead people to jump on what is surely a random event, but when their money is gone they can't prove in any way that it wasn't random.

I won't spoil it.

There are some really clever bits of maths and psychology you can use in random events to give yourself a better chance. I attended a charity ball recently and won a stack of prizes and then gave them back to the charity to raffle, after a half drunk speech on how life isn't as random as people often think it is and to be aware of that.

It was a slight swipe at people who invited me with some angst after learning of the nature of my business. My wife was suitably embarrassed and was pretty chuffed at myself.
I'l take a shot at the raffle, if everyone had bought one ticket each they would have an equal chance of winning.

I think you bought an amount of tickets that cost less than half the value of the items won and you worked out how many tickets to buy to win more than 50% of the time?
Lost The Rider

Deal or No deal isn't an example of the Monty Hall problem, Noel doesn't open a box at the end to increase your odds. Only advantage in opening the other box is the crap odds the banker offers.
This was a trick question posed by my old stats lecturer when we were covering Monty Hall. You are correct it isn't a Monty Hall scenario despite portraying similar characteristics.

It makes no difference. In Deal Or No Deal when left with two boxes at the end there is a 50/50 chance of any of the two remaining values being in each of the boxes. The show is essentially a convoluted way of randomly picking 2 boxes from 22.

Return to “Trading Psychology”