Colours

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
ShaunWhite

I took another thread off topic with an idea..

"I partly blame the way the numbers change from red to green, if that colour change happened at 'acceptable loss' I wonder how much it would affect the psychology of the situation. :?:"

And it made me wonder if having say returns from zero to 'acceptable loss' in amber would really have any psychological effect. Consider it as a virtual stop loss indicator to soften the mental transition from red to green. Right-click on the P/L col to set it?
SeaHorseRacing

I honestly don't think it would be any good to me. I think the idea in theory is great but I don't think it would help me...
Your training to accept a loss must be fixed within. Practise, practise, practise, practise. I have been working on it for over a year. Very very hard at it and I can see huge improvement but still working on it.
Having it turn amber I think will just allow for bigger losses as you will be going into losses when you should be scratching a trade. Your stop loss can very very every trade.
Dallas

With pre-race trading personally I never look at the loss amount so dont really care what it is showing, before opening any trade i have a fixed point where if the odds move against me to that point then its time to get out and admit i got it wrong, this can be either the odds of the runner im tradng or a combination of one or more of the other runners moving to a pre determined point.

If your staking correctly to the type of market and own comfort zone you should be able to do the same and focus on the market activity and let that tell you when you have it wrong rather than looking at a monetry value to exit to. In more volitile and illiquid markets i will reduce the stake size which allows more wriggle room but still dont fix a exit on a actual value.
Crazyskier

ShaunWhite wrote:I took another thread off topic with an idea..

"I partly blame the way the numbers change from red to green, if that colour change happened at 'acceptable loss' I wonder how much it would affect the psychology of the situation. :?:"

And it made me wonder if having say returns from zero to 'acceptable loss' in amber would really have any psychological effect. Consider it as a virtual stop loss indicator to soften the mental transition from red to green. Right-click on the P/L col to set it?
I must confess to 'chasing the green' in my early days (18 months ago) and this often led me to going in play and needing just a few ticks to get green, rather than accept a red. This led to a number of problems...

1) The 'few ticks' needed to get back green often didn't materialise and I ended up with substantial losses much larger than the green amount would have been.

2) The few ticks did materialise, however the short nature of the race (5 and 6F) meant that the prices had moved before all my green up bets were matched.

I refined a little and started to manually enter the money into the market BEFORE the off so there would be no green up issues and this worked well to address point 2, but still did nothing where the price moved away from what I needed.

In short, I eventually swapped to automation and it ALWAYS greens / hedges up at least 30 seconds before start time. I often have losing trades, but they are most often outweighed by the total of my winning trades, so each EVENT usually has a green or a small red only.

My nerves and balance have thanked me for this stability many times over and I try to learn from the costly mistakes of myself and others hereabouts.

The colouring of amber for perhaps a 5-8 tick spread above and below the entry point I believe would actually have helped me in my early days, though more recently it's irrelevant as I green / hedge on auto.

CS 8-)
ShaunWhite

Thanks for all the comments, they're all really valid and I'm happily convinced that my hair-brained idea doesn't really stand up and is if anything, counterproductive.

Dallas your posting is spot on. I'd forgotten that that's exactly how it should be managed.
Dallas wrote:...this can be either the odds of the runner im trading or a combination of one or more of the other runners moving to a pre determined point.

..focus on the market activity.

Return to “Trading Psychology”