"Don't let anybody steal your dream"

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
iambic_pentameter

I think that everyone, regardless of where they are on their journey, at some point, will have been told that what we are looking to do, is unachievable.

I know from personal experience that friends and family certainly doubt that I can make a living wage from sports trading.

And I have no doubt that when I do, it will be because I was lucky etc :roll:

Fortunately, I am a resilient little so and so - I'll leave the Anglo Saxon out - that's LeTiss' domain.

Something that I do, is watch the following video each day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-jwWYX7Jlo&t=4s

For anyone starting out, rather than argue with people who doubt you, simply agree to disagree and focus that energy on doing something more productive, ideally, that progresses your trading career.

Iambic
Geordie

I enjoyed that video, thanks for posting, Iambic.
Bluesky

Interesting video thanks for posting it. I did a financial trading course many years ago with an American instructor who sounded a bit like some of the speakers in this video. Almost certain these guys have had some training in LNP. This can be quite inspiring the first the first time or two you hear it but once you have come across if a few times and get to know some of the tricks that are used it kind of gets a bit grating.
trader44

nice thread iambic hows it going trading wise
to75ne

a bit of realism.
not everybody is cut out for trading, most fail at it, irrespecitive of what preachy yanks may say.
Bluesky

to75ne wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 2:49 pm
a bit of realism.
not everybody is cut out for trading, most fail at it, irrespecitive of what preachy yanks may say.
It would be great if this wasn't the case, but unfortunately to75ne is absolutely right.
ruthlessimon

people who fail, are just as important for advice as people who succeed. knowing the fundamental reasons they failed allow you to sidestep their misfortune. the common traits of failed traders is such valuable knowledge. moreover they should be easier to find, & far more likely to be open about their ideas & problems.

traders like switsh & ferru are just as valuable as Peter, dallas etc. id love to have a convo with switsh someday.
JPK65

This video is absolutely useless to anyone trying to learn to trade. I am failing miserably. At times I think that I have just been suckered into giving my hard earned money over to those much more experienced than me. I should quit now, but I am too pig-headed. What I (and others in the same position as me) need is an actual online training course. Not just the snippets of information available through Bet Angel TV but a course with a starting point, an intermediate section, and an ending point. This video is just insincere American rubbish. I need facts not some American’s spiel.
Dallas

JPK65 wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 8:08 pm
What I (and others in the same position as me) need is an actual online training course. Not just the snippets of information available through Bet Angel TV but a course with a starting point, an intermediate section, and an ending point. This video is just insincere American rubbish. I need facts not some American’s spiel.
Take your pick
https://www.bettingexchangeacademy.com/
ruthlessimon

a trip to BA hq would probably be the best investment. something I would say is education is not the be-all & end-all. not all traders get a 'proper' education - Peter Webb wasn't educated. however, if you go on the Masterclass keep your expectations in check. expecting to be profitable the moment you step out, is a fantasy.

here's a quick case study on a guy called 'Piers Curran' - he currently runs his own prop firm in London:

when he started in trading, he joined a firm along with 15 others - all he was told (by the educators), that the ladders he would be watching were the 2yr, 5yr, 10yr bond futures. these things are going up & down, see if you can figure out why, you've got 3 months. Is there a relationship? can you exploit any inefficiencies? are there any patterns? - sounds awfully like pre-race doesn't it! a pure baptism of fire.

however, the key focus was on group work with the other 15 novice traders. not, here's the holy grail Piers, use it.
steven1976

ruthlessimon wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 5:20 pm
people who fail, are just as important for advice as people who succeed. knowing the fundamental reasons they failed allow you to sidestep their misfortune. the common traits of failed traders is such valuable knowledge. moreover they should be easier to find, & far more likely to be open about their ideas & problems.

traders like switsh & ferru are just as valuable as Peter, dallas etc. id love to have a convo with switsh someday.
If a failed trader told people the markete were manipulated and that the main players sit matching their own money backwards and forwards to hold people in a loosing position and control a market direction,a and speed, no one would believe them. If an experienced trader told people the same then everyone would believe it, so i agree, there is a lot if not more you can take from losing traders, probably more info than a succesful trader would be willing to share. Would also be interested in hearing from Switesh the underlying reason he stopped as he was very keen.
spreadbetting

Most failed traders I've seen usually blame others for their failure, I'm not sure what valuable info you can pick up from that. They're normally far too stubborn to believe they're in the wrong and continually repeat simple mistakes in my experience. I've always thought it'd be relatively easy to teach someone with no knowledge or experience of trading to succeed rather than someone with a few years break even or losing experience. I think once you pick up reinforced bad habits they're very hard to break and unfortunately very easy to pick up when starting.
Anna List

There's a lot of wise words on this 'ere thread.

Many moons ago, a friend of mine lost a shed load laying horses. It's a lot of moolah now. Back then, bon dieu.

He was of the opinion that the system worked but he didn't. He says that he lost control and that's why he lost money.

Yes, it seems that he lost control but I wasn't convinced that the system was of the first water.

He told me how it worked. I was convinced that his logic was flawed.

I reversed the system and started testing it.

Reversed, it worked fine.

Went live.

Never looked back.

Anna

Return to “Trading Psychology”