Admission time, and a question or two :(

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
Halliday

stueytrader wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:13 pm
Thanks for all the comments, some good points.

I would just like to add however, that this was posted on the 'Psychology' sub-forum, so I'm not sure why so many are pointing out that we should stop talking about psychology....

I get the point that moaning about tilt etc is 'groundhog' to some extent around here. But this wasn't meant to be a general trading posting, rather a question about how psychology affects our trading. I did purposely post it in THIS section because of that, rather than the general trading sections.

I think the point a lot of us are making is that your posts are typical of so many that pop up on here. You apparently struggle with trading, and from reading your posts it's not just from a psychological angle , but from a basic understanding of what influences the markets ( your really don't understand how a horses for etc influences the market . That beggars belief !!) , and overstaking, going I play etc ?

You say you've been doing for over a year .. and you don't seem to have grasped the basics . Or understand what influences markets ... yet you expect to change your personality etc and make it work , and you talk about tiredness,you just had a light bulb moment and decided randomly to stop trading at 18.00 !!, and its taken you over a year to think of that !!

I suspect your not capable of changing , and as a previous poster said your posts just smack of laziness, and naivety if you expect other people's advice can change you.

If that attitude is the way you approach trading then it just re enforces the opinion that it's not for you.

Over a year and your still at the stage of starting threads like this ? ... and making everything so complicated ... please !!

Stop making excuses and just get on with it !! . And enjoy life
ruthlessimon

Halliday wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:39 am
But it is not always supply and demand which affects a horses price
From a guy that knows nil about form, that was a nice post to read - & some good pointers, cheers Hal :)
trader44

The last time I went 'In Play' was New Years Day 2008 - I lost £2000

i can feel the pain of this one letiss :x
stueytrader

Halliday wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:31 pm

Over a year and your still at the stage of starting threads like this ? ... and making everything so complicated ... please !!

Stop making excuses and just get on with it !! . And enjoy life
It's ok, I'll stop trying to explain to you why I'm posting about Psychology on the Psychology forum....! :D

ps. I actually said I had a year of 'profit' not that I'd been trading a year - I do understand trading at work too, but that wasn't the point here....as I already said.
Halliday

"It's ok, I'll stop trying to explain to you why I'm posting about Psychology on the Psychology forum....! :D "

That's the most sensible comment/ decision you've made on this thread .. and hope it puts it to bed once and for all.

Everything you've said has been said many times before and is covered in multiple threads on here .. far better to devote your time to improving your trading .. then repeating posts

And no need to explain about your year of profit either.. Long may it continue for you

Enjoy your trading !!
stueytrader

Good luck to you too - though I didn't say I would stop trying to look for aids, advice etc etc on Psychology, or even posting about it on here (shock horror :D).

I would like to point out that, for example, my 'laughable' (apparently) use of my new 'time of day' suggestion (that you suggest is so pointless) has actually gone excellently for my psychology and trading performance so far - I will keep using it, if it works. I've taken heed of several other posters suggestions on here too so far, all good stuff.

BW to you too.
stueytrader

As an update, a couple months on, I have managed to change many of my previous 'habits' and replace with a number of different behaviours - and it has been essentially all good.

This stuff really does work. Don't underestimate the power of behaviour to kick out the weak thinking, and change your everyday...and ultimately results.

As a checklist of a few habits and behaviours that have helped me the most:

Time - applied in terms of time to analyse and time to stop/rest from trading.

Physical/mental checking - observe my levels of fatigue and ability to focus. If it's not great, don't even start on a day.

Reminders - keep it in focus, the bad things of the past, the good things you have done, keeping it the latter.

Controls - my habits/urges controlled (I don't need to spank myself so much now either :) ) Some simple rules like a maximum staking bank have added to this too.

I'm sure there's a few others, but every little helps.

Return to “Trading Psychology”