Overcoming gambling addiction

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
Derek27

spreadbetting wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:45 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:12 am
I honestly don't know how I come across, whether I'm polite, arrogant, etc. ..........
Probably a bit like this, Derek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkZdTHmX0TQ
Ha ha...
Copenhagen trader

Marketraisen, most likely you are just suffering from an attention seeking syndrome. Mile long posts about GAMBLING problems on a trading forum seem odd. Then, when experienced traders, out of good will bring on their advice, they are criticized.
If you had a real addiction, you would most likely be too ashamed to write such long and detailed posts. And you might even had taken on some of the advice given.
Stop wasting peoples valuable time.
Last edited by Copenhagen trader on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Naffman

Even if he is legit (who knows?) the fact is we need people like him - the ones who double up on a trade when they just lost on the previous race, the ones who are gambling to get their losses back, etc

Obviously I don't wish anyone to fail but the reality is for me to profit someone else has to lose
napshnap

Naffman wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:12 pm
Even if he is legit (who knows?) the fact is we need people like him - the ones who double up on a trade when they just lost on the previous race, the ones who are gambling to get their losses back, etc

Obviously I don't wish anyone to fail but the reality is for me to profit someone else has to lose
It's hurtful to think like that. I'd prefer to think that we extend their funtime by providing more fair odds than bookies.
marketraisen

Copenhagen trader wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:58 pm
Then, when experienced traders, out of good will bring on their advice, they are criticized.
I havent done that here, I havent critisised anyone who has read any of my earlier posts and offered advice at all, Ive only been dismissive of people who havent read anything but decided to weigh in regardless and none of what Ive said is critical.

The mistake I made was the terminology, given 'gambling addiction' covers a very broad range of behaviours the door was opened for people to assume the worst, obviously it was with the best intentions as I now know many on here have first hand experience with the worst case scenario in terms of self destruction but most of it doesnt apply.
marketraisen

Since starting this topic, I have now had THREE non automated bets, all of them away from betfair (advice taken from the thread), as opposed to just pissing away profits daily while watching the exchange.

I am moving onwards and upwards towards my goals, checking the balance daily has become my gambling excitement for the day, so it is proving to be possible to find some discipline.

Again the major turning point was just thinking about it, we should all be trying to improve however we can.
stueytrader

Hi Marketraisen,

I started reading and got through most of this thread, but wow, this kicked off a very lengthy discussion didn't it! :D

I wanted to post, because I felt a connection to your description - I've at different times in my life (now in late 40s) been both a compulsive gambler, a leaky gambler (sounds like what you were initially describing) and a consistent winner. So your multi-faceted history rings a bell with me too!

I'm much more controlled now, and not giving back big amounts of profits anymore, though I did post about a specific lapse I had on this forum once (you will probably find it lower down).

But I wanted to say that, like you, I once went from being basically a degenerate gambler to a successful trader. I even then managed to stop my occasional lapses and leaks from happening. It can be done for sure. I'd agree with what someone said earlier on about needing to change your whole mindset and possibly even life-view to do it fully though.

I sorted out some wider issues in my life, when eliminating some of my stupid behaviours. It sometimes only works when you really fit everything together - and that's not simple, or always easy, I know.

Anyway, just wanted to add my own story here, and chat if you like.

Stu.
mobius

Betfair mentioned on You and Yours (BBC Radio4, will be on bbc.co.uk podcast later)
Not pleasant listening.

Return to “Trading Psychology”