Overcoming gambling addiction

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
Derek27

marketraisen wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:55 am
Derek27 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:01 pm
I may understand the OP incorrectly
Some sharp minds around these parts.
Last night I spent a lot of time trying to help you. Whether or not you find my posts helpful is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that you've asked for help, I've tried to help, and so have many others.

I've tried to establish whether your losses gambling is part of your trading or whether it's just leisure activity, it would have been polite to respond, even if you don't know yourself!

I've tried to establish whether the meaningless charts you keep posting are P/L charts or charts that include deposited money, and all you can do is post sarcastic remarks!

If I don't understand you correctly, you can hardly blame me for that - you're asking for help, yet at the same time you're extremely evasive and reluctant to engage, but just want to post charts of what you think is progress, and criticise anyone who disagrees with you.

My initial advice on this thread was to seek help from a gambling counsellor, and that hasn't changed. As spreadbetting suggested, a trading forum isn't the best place to get advice on how to stop impulsive and uncontrollable betting, as we generally give advice on how to trade successfully.

If you want to overcome your gambling problem regarding betting on things with no +ve, you've got two options: either do it on your own without help, or engage with somebody who you trust can help you. Asking for help but dismissing any advice you don't like, or preferring to look at charts simply because the graph goes up, is futile.

I genuinely wish you the best, whatever you decide to do.
ShaunWhite

marketraisen wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:54 am
Charts not pointing out differences between sets of data are meaningless.
I bet you're popular at work, turning up and telling every other trade what they're doing wrong. :roll:
Derek27

marketraisen wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:27 am
If any of the original folk who replied during racing hours on that day want to step forward they'll have their apology...
Don't worry, I'm not asking for an apology but I just thought I'd point out that I replied to your post at 1:48pm!

The regulars on this forum will be shocked, and even I'm surprised that I was up that early, so I must have replied to your request for help the moment I logged on. In effect, I prioritised helping you over starting trading!

Whether it actually cost me any money is entirely irrelevant. Shaun was making the point that we all put in the effort to help you. Just because he mentioned that Saturday is the biggest payday for most traders doesn't mean it's cost anyone any money - you just need to appreciate the time and effort that's gone into this thread, rather than posting sarcastic remarks because I don't appear to understand your situation!
jimibt

this is a classic thread.... from reading between the lines, it would appear that what started as a cry for help has been subverted into some sort of coverup for reasons known only to the OP... (tho the cynical side of me wonders why such a deep thread was started by the OP literally within 45 mins of joining the forum) :shock:
LeTiss

Bit surprised to see this has become an 11 page thread!

There are crossovers between betting and trading. If the definition between the two remains blurred, you'll always be fighting your demons I'm afraid.

This is simply because of the stakes involved with trading

Example
Let's say you have set your hopes on winning £10 from a forthcoming race, and the selection is trading at 6.00

Back at 6.00 = £2 Liability
Lay at 6.00 = £50 Liability
Back to Lay (1 Tick) = £600 Liability
Lay to Back (1 Tick) = £1550 Liability

The sums used to make successful trades are way beyond being a normal punter - if you have an aversion to losses in trading, and start letting bad trades run or go IP, then you are teetering on the edge of disaster
marketraisen

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:34 am
you're asking for help

Asking for help but dismissing any advice you don't like, or preferring to look at charts simply because the graph goes up, is futile.
You are not the voice of the betangel forum and a large post count is no indicator of expertise, unless you've been through the same process of wasting trading profits on sports betting aimlessly then no I wasnt asking for your help specifically. If you are going to try and help somebody then perhaps read the other posts that have come before to get a full picture, you may have some experience with out of control gambling or handling big losses as it is what you defaulted to offering a word on but its largely un necessary, I went through all of that personally years ago, which you'd have read if you'd bothered reading the thread and not just assumed yourself the voice of authority.

I thanked everyone who gave me advice, even you, you were not the first person to reply to this thread.
marketraisen

jimibt wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:37 am
it would appear that what started as a cry for help has been subverted into some sort of coverup for reasons known only to the OP
It degenerated when derek entered the thread late and appears to be angry at me for not being completely self destructive with my gambling habits and dismissing his advice, which reading back accounts to not much more than 'if it were me id quit'.
marketraisen

LeTiss wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:55 pm
There are crossovers between betting and trading. If the definition between the two remains blurred, you'll always be fighting your demons I'm afraid.
The other end of the spectrum is where I'm at and its a problem, where I can make a big differentiation between what is considered 'trading' and 'gambling', yet I was carrying on down a road of spending money (even small amounts) in a direction with a negative expectation of a return when theres another with a positive expectation of a return.

The blurring between different moves on the exchange between whats rash and whats calculated is a sign that something is wrong but I've (so far) largely dealt with it.

As was pointed out earlier by another poster, my habits are more of a recreational gambler than a full on gambling addict, it just seems the language is loaded with connotations, people assume the worst with the right intentions.
Derek27

You're welcome to blame me for a degenerated thread, if that makes you feel better.

Just to be clear, I'm not angry with you for anything - don't really understand why you think I'm angry or feel I think I'm the voice of authority. I'm just giving an opinion like anyone else.

I really don't understand why you think I want you to self-destruct. I suggested seeing a gambling counsellor, is that consistent with wanting somebody to self-destruct?

My large post count is largely down to a lot of ranting and rambling, I don't choose to display it - the forum software does. I've never claimed superiority over other members because of my post count. That was a sweeping assumption on your part.
marketraisen

jimibt wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:37 am
(tho the cynical side of me wonders why such a deep thread was started by the OP literally within 45 mins of joining the forum) :shock:
Missed this bit.

Specifically came to post on here because theres a higher chance of finding people who are successful or trying to be successful with automation but former/current 'punters' aswell. Obviously had to sign up to so.

I thought there might be people who had gone through something similar and there has.
Derek27

marketraisen wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:48 pm
...unless you've been through the same process of wasting trading profits on sports betting aimlessly then no I wasnt asking for your help specifically.
You should really have made it clear from the outset that you'd like to hear from somebody with the same experience, and then I'd never have got involved in this thread.
marketraisen

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:08 pm
marketraisen wrote:
...unless you've been through the same process of wasting trading profits on sports betting aimlessly then no I wasnt asking for your help specifically.
You should really have made it clear from the outset that you'd like to hear from somebody with the same experience, and then I'd never have got involved in this thread.
Would it have mattered? You already said you didnt read any of the thread but felt like your contribution was needed.
Derek27

marketraisen wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:09 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:08 pm
marketraisen wrote:
Would it have mattered? You already said you didnt read any of the thread but felt like your contribution was needed.
Can you show me where I said that?

When you think about it, it's not possible to contribute to a thread as much as I have without reading most of it - do I sound as though I'm talking to myself?

I probably skipped just over a page.
marketraisen

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:04 pm
or feel I think I'm the voice of authority. I'm just giving an opinion like anyone else.
Because you also said this
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:34 am
If I don't understand you correctly, you can hardly blame me for that - you're asking for help, yet at the same time you're extremely evasive and reluctant to engage, but just want to post charts of what you think is progress, and criticise anyone who disagrees with you.
I'm reluctant now to engage with you as answered questions like the validity of charts showing a before/after event and the effect it can have on an outcome, such as starting a thread and stopping myself wasting money on stupid bets. I havent criticised 'anyone who disagrees' with me, you assuming as much is assuming authority because I have dismissed your 'quit it all' advice.

Its pointless going on, we're in different places with different goals and experience, I appreciate the kind thoughts on the future and wish you the same, I hope everyone who tries to improve can improve.
SeaHorseRacing

Is this the nicest fight I’ve ever seen? :lol:

To be fair... this was kind of one sided against the op throughout the entire thread. Reminds me of me years ago.

I think we need to be abit more supportive when offering criticism.

Return to “Trading Psychology”