Overcoming gambling addiction

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
Derek27

marketraisen wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:48 pm
...unless you've been through the same process of wasting trading profits on sports betting aimlessly then no I wasnt asking for your help specifically.
You should really have made it clear from the outset that you'd like to hear from somebody with the same experience, and then I'd never have got involved in this thread.
marketraisen

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:08 pm
marketraisen wrote:
...unless you've been through the same process of wasting trading profits on sports betting aimlessly then no I wasnt asking for your help specifically.
You should really have made it clear from the outset that you'd like to hear from somebody with the same experience, and then I'd never have got involved in this thread.
Would it have mattered? You already said you didnt read any of the thread but felt like your contribution was needed.
Derek27

marketraisen wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:09 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:08 pm
marketraisen wrote:
Would it have mattered? You already said you didnt read any of the thread but felt like your contribution was needed.
Can you show me where I said that?

When you think about it, it's not possible to contribute to a thread as much as I have without reading most of it - do I sound as though I'm talking to myself?

I probably skipped just over a page.
marketraisen

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:04 pm
or feel I think I'm the voice of authority. I'm just giving an opinion like anyone else.
Because you also said this
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:34 am
If I don't understand you correctly, you can hardly blame me for that - you're asking for help, yet at the same time you're extremely evasive and reluctant to engage, but just want to post charts of what you think is progress, and criticise anyone who disagrees with you.
I'm reluctant now to engage with you as answered questions like the validity of charts showing a before/after event and the effect it can have on an outcome, such as starting a thread and stopping myself wasting money on stupid bets. I havent criticised 'anyone who disagrees' with me, you assuming as much is assuming authority because I have dismissed your 'quit it all' advice.

Its pointless going on, we're in different places with different goals and experience, I appreciate the kind thoughts on the future and wish you the same, I hope everyone who tries to improve can improve.
SeaHorseRacing

Is this the nicest fight I’ve ever seen? :lol:

To be fair... this was kind of one sided against the op throughout the entire thread. Reminds me of me years ago.

I think we need to be abit more supportive when offering criticism.
Derek27

marketraisen wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:18 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:04 pm
or feel I think I'm the voice of authority. I'm just giving an opinion like anyone else.
Because you also said this
Derek27 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:34 am
If I don't understand you correctly, you can hardly blame me for that - you're asking for help, yet at the same time you're extremely evasive and reluctant to engage, but just want to post charts of what you think is progress, and criticise anyone who disagrees with you.
I'm reluctant now to engage with you as answered questions like the validity of charts showing a before/after event and the effect it can have on an outcome, such as starting a thread and stopping myself wasting money on stupid bets. I havent criticised 'anyone who disagrees' with me, you assuming as much is assuming authority because I have dismissed your 'quit it all' advice.

Its pointless going on, we're in different places with different goals and experience, I appreciate the kind thoughts on the future and wish you the same, I hope everyone who tries to improve can improve.
I honestly don't know how I come across, whether I'm polite, arrogant, etc. I do know that people will perceive my posts in different ways, and the way you perceive me may be affected by how you're feeling or whether you agree or dislike what I'm saying.

I never advised you to quit, I just said that's what I would do, and at least another two posters have suggested the same.

I've re-read my post and still fail to see how it amounts to assuming authority. Suggesting that this thread has degenerated after I got involved does, at least indirectly, amount to criticism. I would also add that asking for advice on how to stop gambling on a platform that's largely about how to start trading successfully was bound to lead to a bumpy and polarised thread. Some people offered advice on how to trade, others were more inclined to discourage you from gambling.
spreadbetting

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:12 am
I honestly don't know how I come across, whether I'm polite, arrogant, etc. ..........
Probably a bit like this, Derek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkZdTHmX0TQ
LeTiss

Not sure what's going on here, AT ALL!!

The poster opened with a desperate post "I need help"

By the time the thread reached a few pages long, he started to become quite bullish
ShaunWhite

LeTiss wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:21 pm
Not sure what's going on here, AT ALL!!

The poster opened with a desperate post "I need help"

By the time the thread reached a few pages long, he started to become quite bullish
It's straightforward LeTiss, you can only be helped if you have an open mind to things you might be doing wrong.

When you're desperate you have an open mind to anything, pleased for people to tell you what to try and change. Turns out that the op hasn't reached that stage yet. There's also been some suggestions that a gambling forum isn't the best place to find advice about stopping gambling which seemed to go down like a lead balloon. Then there was a fuss about the fact he only gambles away money he's made from gambling (aka trading) so it's not an addiction in the usual sense. Problem, yes, addiction, no.

It's been a bit of a storm in a teacup really, you haven't missed much. If the thread had been called "I piss away my profits" it would have been less controversial than "overcoming gambling addition".
Trader Pat

marketraisen wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:18 pm

I've already given my 2 cents worth on this but I think part of the problem is you're sending mixed messages. On Sunday you said this:
marketraisen wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:15 am
It is an addiction but isnt what people think it is, I think I shouldve just written less overall
Then the next day you said:
marketraisen wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:00 pm
As was pointed out earlier by another poster, my habits are more of a recreational gambler than a full on gambling addict, it just seems the language is loaded with connotations, people assume the worst with the right intentions.

The impression I get is that when you started this thread asking for help you believed you had a problem, but wanted reassurance from people that you didnt. The only person that knows for sure if you have a real issue here is you but you have to be honest with yourself.

I side with Derek on this if I was you then I'd step away from it, at least for a while and see how you feel while away from the markets.
Derek27

spreadbetting wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:45 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:12 am
I honestly don't know how I come across, whether I'm polite, arrogant, etc. ..........
Probably a bit like this, Derek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkZdTHmX0TQ
Ha ha...
Copenhagen trader

Marketraisen, most likely you are just suffering from an attention seeking syndrome. Mile long posts about GAMBLING problems on a trading forum seem odd. Then, when experienced traders, out of good will bring on their advice, they are criticized.
If you had a real addiction, you would most likely be too ashamed to write such long and detailed posts. And you might even had taken on some of the advice given.
Stop wasting peoples valuable time.
Last edited by Copenhagen trader on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Naffman

Even if he is legit (who knows?) the fact is we need people like him - the ones who double up on a trade when they just lost on the previous race, the ones who are gambling to get their losses back, etc

Obviously I don't wish anyone to fail but the reality is for me to profit someone else has to lose
napshnap

Naffman wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:12 pm
Even if he is legit (who knows?) the fact is we need people like him - the ones who double up on a trade when they just lost on the previous race, the ones who are gambling to get their losses back, etc

Obviously I don't wish anyone to fail but the reality is for me to profit someone else has to lose
It's hurtful to think like that. I'd prefer to think that we extend their funtime by providing more fair odds than bookies.
marketraisen

Copenhagen trader wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:58 pm
Then, when experienced traders, out of good will bring on their advice, they are criticized.
I havent done that here, I havent critisised anyone who has read any of my earlier posts and offered advice at all, Ive only been dismissive of people who havent read anything but decided to weigh in regardless and none of what Ive said is critical.

The mistake I made was the terminology, given 'gambling addiction' covers a very broad range of behaviours the door was opened for people to assume the worst, obviously it was with the best intentions as I now know many on here have first hand experience with the worst case scenario in terms of self destruction but most of it doesnt apply.

Return to “Trading Psychology”