Reprogramming your brain to be happy

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
Predicton

Hi Jeff,

interesting article.

Have you read "The Biology of Belief" by Bruce Lipton?

It's a biologist's view on how mood/ negativity etc. create an unhealthy environment for cells and consequently affects health.

Cheers, P
Iron

Hi Prediction

No, I haven't, but it sounds interesting. :)

I think, btw, that traditional education is very narrow in what it teaches you. It aspires to teach students how to be successful, without (IMHO) properly addressing the main component of success: happiness.

Jeff
Predicton wrote:Hi Jeff,

interesting article.

Have you read "The Biology of Belief" by Bruce Lipton?

It's a biologist's view on how mood/ negativity etc. create an unhealthy environment for cells and consequently affects health.

Cheers, P
Predicton

Agreed Jeff. I work with a lot of academics dealing with research into climate change and they're terrible for manipulating students activities for their own ends.

As for my part, my education was aimed at producing a cog for the machine, but there again I did study Civil and Structural Engineering,

cheers, P
Iron

I would argue, though, that knowing how to use your mind as effectively as possible can only help an engineer, if it increases your ability to think outside the box, or gives you greater clarity of thought.

Have you ever tried meditation or hypnosis?

Jeff
Predicton wrote: My education was aimed at producing a cog for the machine, but there again I did study Civil and Structural Engineering,
Predicton

I think you're right Jeff, breaking through the strictures placed upon you by current practices and standards is fundamental to progress. I could tell you of a fault in drainage design standards, in this country, which is costing developers and by inference property purchasers millions of pounds a year, however, getting my emploers, or for that matter the ICE to listen is another matter.

I've dabbled in meditation but I'm too much of a self-control freak to try hypnotism,

cheers, P
Iron

Predicton wrote: I could tell you of a fault in drainage design standards, in this country, which is costing developers and by inference property purchasers millions of pounds a year, however, getting my emploers, or for that matter the ICE to listen is another matter.
Years ago, I worked for a council. On a couple of occasions, I was without my car, and had to risk life and limb to cross a busy road to get to a bus stop.

I emailed the engineering department to suggest that they add a pedestrian box to the traffic lights on that road, or install a zebra crossing.

They told me that to do so would cost 20 grand!

20 grand to fit a yellow box to a set of traffic lights!!!

Incredible! The yellow box would cost, at a guess, a few hundred quid at most. Plus, you've got maybe two engineers' labour for a day (if they're slow!). So there must be a hell of a lot of bureaucracy involved in such a simple procedure!
Predicton wrote:I've dabbled in meditation but I'm too much of a self-control freak to try hypnotism,
The irony is that hypnosis would help you control your mind rather than be controlled by it (which is something I'd say afflicts most people most of the time!). :)

But meditation achieves basically the same goal - a calm and focused mind.

Jeff
Predicton

Right on both counts Jeff,

cheers, P

Return to “Trading Psychology”