Bounce Intl: Mozart, Federer, Picasso, Beckham, and the Scie

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
JollyGreen

Euler wrote:10,000 hours in action!

http://thedanplan.com/
Jeez!! With that awful left hand grip I am amazed he's down to 6.5! He won't get much lower until he changes that grip and improves his hand position at address!

Good luck to him but I cannot see it myself.
JollyGreen

In this country we spend too much time telling people they're a failure. This happens during school, sport, work etc etc. If we are to improve overall as a nation and ultimately as individuals we need to change our belief system.

I have worked in coaching both with golf and swimming and from what I have seen the change isn't even on the horizon let alone in view.

From a swimming point of view, coaches in this country are obsessed with instant results. This means they want fast times from a junior which generally come from the tallest, strongest and early maturing youths. Because the focus of attention then falls on these fast youngsters it means many more potentially fast late maturing youths will fall by the wayside. I have watched it over the last 10 years and nothing is changing. I should point out this is not ALL coaches but it is a very high majority of them.

They simply push the swimmers aerobically and try to build their strength. The focus on this means technique is often ignored and in swimming that means you will eventually fail to improve. As a child matures they tend to reach to peak of their physical ability and their performances plateau. They then lose interest because they are no longer top dog and stop swimming competitively.

Because of this short sighted attitude we lose a lot of potential talent because they never get a chance. You can apply this to just about any sport, someone pointed out Football and they're are so correct.

One saying that irks me is "Practice makes perfect". This is simply WRONG! The saying should be "Perfect practice makes perfect!", there is no point practising your faults! You can apply this to anything you like be it, football, trading, golf, swimming etc.

Cycling in the UK seems to be one of the few sports where coaches are looking to the future. This has been running for many years now and we have all seen how successful we have been as a nation. Let's not talk about the old drugs day a la Lance Armstrong.

So because we expect instant success we are looking for a genius, a child prodigy like Beethoven, Mozart etc. The rest are doomed to fail and are told as much with comments like "you're too short" "you're too slow" etc. We are always looking at stars like Michael Phelps, Ian Thorpe in swimming or Lionel Messi in football and expecting our youngsters to live up to their achievements...yeah right, it isn't happening any time soon!

Until we change this thought process in this country and plan for the future we are simply going to bounce along with a modicum of success.

If you also do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got...an annoying saying but sadly all too true!

Rant over!! :D :D
freddy

I agree, Football coaching is another example, in this country the emphasis is on winning from a very young age, rather than as it should be technique.

it's just get the ball and hoof it towards the goal
and they wonder why we are light years behind :lol:
steven1976

Great post jolly and I agree 100% and have felt that way since being a youngster that the UK we are not given the encouragement to follow sporting dreams. If Messi was British he probably would have struggled to get trials at Lincoln due to his size. I also like your comment about perfect practice makes perfect. I think like yourself I was also a decent golfer playing off scratch when I was younger before a few knee ops. I use to see people practicing after a bad round but usually they would be practicing bad things as they were not swinging well but I always preferred to.praftice after a.great round to improve muscle memory. I guess it could also be advisable for trading as well.
PeterLe

:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Groovyelms

Coaching, lessons, help, instruction advice et al, conveyed correctly helps us all; But put over poorly affects us all. I have been lucky to enough to have skiied to a pretty high standard over the years, and treated myself to a long week end course with instruction included a few weeks back in switzerland..

My primary reason for doing this were, on the last ski trip, I ended up in hospital having emergency eye surgery... ( if you get ill get ill in France the standard of care in hospital was exceptional) and the food was good too.

So off I trot to switzerland speeding across the alps by train and yes they do run on time. arrive at the resort, loverly hotel, fab snow and good weather... all looks good.

So first day feeling somewhat nervous we meet our leader for the weekend. and straight away we are being put though our paces on technique and good knows what else, i want you to ski this way and not that way... that ways ok but this is the way forward..that first day meant I never settled or relaxed on the skiis over the whole weekend! I came back thinking, did I enjoy that? the jury is still out on that question...
Coached more positively, it could have all of been so very different :cry:
Euler

Daniel Kahneman quote
From Thinking, Fast and Slow:

“As you become skilled in a task, its demand for energy diminishes. Studies of the brain have shown that the pattern of activity associated with an action changes as skill increases, with fewer brain regions involved. Talent has similar effects. Highly intelligent individuals need less effort to solve the same problems, as indicated by both pupil size and brain activity. A general “law of least effort” applies to cognitive as well as physical exertion. The law asserts that if there are several ways of achieving the same goal, people will eventually gravitate to the least demanding course of action. In the economy of action, effort is a cost, and the acquisition of skill is driven by the balance of benefits and costs. Laziness is built deep into our nature.”
Iron

I was chatting the other day with a Paralympic gold medalist, and talking about the things that lead to success in her field. One of the things she stressed was the importance of hard work and determination. She said that ideally you want someone who's hard working and talented, but often talented people work less hard than than their less talented peers.

Jeff
Euler

How To Achieve Mastery (And Why You Don’t Have To Be Born With It) – with Robert Greene

http://mixergy.com/robert-greene-mastery-interview/
Euler

Your Genes Don’t Fit: Why 10,000 Hours of Practice Won’t Make You an Expert

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/05/so ... rule-bunk/

I disagree TBH, I've reinvented my skill set several times in my life so I think practice does make perfect. To be to expert status can be acheived through practice alone, but to be at the very top of your profession probably requires everything to be perfect and to practice a lot so there are differentials.
CaerMyrddin

Imho, the truth is somewhere in between, probably there isn't such a thing as one rule fits all.

You are a talented individual, so changing your set skill is probably easier.

Practice simply has to improve your skills, but there must be some kind of threeshold for this improvement. You can argue that it's a trailing stop (pun intended) but even the potencial to push it further must be limited, imho

In no way I'm trying to diminish the power of practice!
Euler

The Most Successful People Practice Better, Not More

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-succ ... z2cXNMouch
Euler

COMPLEXITY AND THE TEN-THOUSAND-HOUR RULE

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/s ... l?mobify=0
Euler

Malcolm Gladwell: The Power of the Underdog

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/malcolm-g ... -underdog/

How Bill Gates inspired the book, "Outliers"

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/how-bill- ... outliers-2

Life lessons from the best-selling book, "Blink"

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/life-less ... ok-blink-2
stevequal

I am big fan of Gladwell's books. I remember the first time, I read the Tipping point and was like wow. Some critics say his work is too obvious, but in that very observation there maybe a lesson.

Return to “Trading Psychology”