Attitude

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
Iron

Mister Man -

I thought Market Trader was offering you good and sincere advice.

Maybe you are a glass half full kind of guy, and he was preaching to the converted, but I wouldn't take umbrage at his comments. :)

Jeff
mister man

Ferru123 wrote:The idea is that you do those things before you trade! :)

Try it! You might find yourself shrugging your shoulders in a situation where you'd normally get angry!

Jeff
mister man wrote: whilst i agree that controlling oneself is key, and meditation might help that initially,i really dont see anyone, reacting to a trade gone very wrong, by chanting hari krishna, lighting a joss stick, and gazing outside attempting to be in sync with the oneness of the universe by swaying in time with the bending of the trees branches in the wind.

I understand that Jeff, what im saying is that yes youmight shrug your shoulders and not get angry, initially, but you will still know that you are down, and the psychology will eventually reasert iteslf, and quickly if the next trade goes wrong.

Hey if it works for you, go for it i say.
Iron

There's no point in crying over spilt milk.

If things go badly against you, what you need to do is quickly put it behind you and refocus.

Any sports psychology book will tell you that, if you get angry with yourself or other people, and take your eye off the ball as a result, your performance will suffer...

Jeff
mister man wrote: I understand that Jeff, what im saying is that yes youmight shrug your shoulders and not get angry, initially, but you will still know that you are down, and the psychology will eventually reasert iteslf, and quickly if the next trade goes wrong.

Hey if it works for you, go for it i say.
mister man

Ferru123 wrote:Mister Man -

I thought Market Trader was offering you good and sincere advice.

Maybe you are a glass half full kind of guy, and he was preaching to the converted, but I wouldn't take umbrage at his comments. :)

Jeff

Never been to Umbrage, and i wouldnt know how to take it if i got their..
Yes he might have been, and in my own way so am I...
Iron

Here's another thought on attitude -

You can focus on the opportunity in every threat, or the threat in every opportunity...

Jeff
mister man

Guys...

I agree that a positive attitude can help you through the day, and will on a superficial level look impressive.
I worked for years in major uk companies at reasonably high levels,where the little sayings of positivity and mantras and mission statements and can do attitude was all pervasive.

But in trading if you are deciding to say back the fav with a view to its price contracting..

if a.p mccoy has let slip to a mate that he wanted that ride, and his mate has told sumn1 else this, then that trade will go well. attitude positive or not.
if your fav in the novices has this week been proved to be a donkey by being pulled up after trailling the yard cat by 4 lengths, and the trainer has decided to enter the beautiful looking horse anyway, you can rest assured all the positive attitude and thinking in the world will not save this trade...

"The door to happiness opens outward."
Iron

Mister Man

Having a postive attitude doesn't guarantee success, and can't control things beyond your control.

But it can make the experience more enjoyable, and put you in a state of mind where you're as productive as possible.

OK, some people may succeed despite being negative, but their odds of success are lower. Who is more likely to succeed at dieting? Someone who's always hungry or someone who rarely thinks about food? Who's more likely to succeed at trading? Someone who's always tempted to go in-play, or someone who's comfortable closing out for a loss? It's a no brainer IMHO... :)

Jeff
mister man

Jeff

i did say,that it will help you through the day,and yes it does on a simplistic level help.

but its not the be all and end all.

If the negative never was succesful, we would never have had the Smiths brilliant perceptive music in the 80's, we wouldnt have the carp coalition government weve got now, and a just say no slogan would not exist..

Horses for courses...

lots of moneys traded in play, closing out for a loss isnt always the right thing to do.
Productivity isnt about being falsely or realistically positive, misplaced positivity can be every bit as damaging as genuine negativity...

sorry to disagree, with the crowd, but the best way to be succesful imho is to
" Always be a first-rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else"

Return to “Trading Psychology”