Positive affirmation

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
Innertube

Quinny wrote:For the record, I don't think this can be achieved spending your life looking for other persons' opinions on message boards like this. Adding your two bobs worth to every thread.
So why do you do it then? :lol:
mister man

cheers quinny, i knew i wasnt alone.

agree with the message board thing too, by and large.

I used to 3/4 yrs ago frequent too often the betfair forum, i stopped due to the absolute numpties on their, clouding my judgement with poor advice etc and wasting my time on who supports which team rubbish (who cares) my trading improved substantially as a result.

even such simple things as the post before this, where you have a simple question/rhetorical statement clouded in clever dick type comment, can be quite upsetting in the short term, esp by the inclusion of a smug smiley or even worse laughing face.
nobody likes to be ridiculed or belittled do they...

cheers.
superfrank

for what it's worth i'm with mister man and quinny on this one.

successful people have to have some talent in the first place (for trader's some decent edges). a PMA just helps them to keep focused to trust in their ability and maintain confidence (e.g. Tiger Woods).

a person with little or no talent can read all the self-help rubbish in the world, but all it will give them is a misguided belief that can be dangerous for their mental health.

look at all these idiots who go on talent shows... many of them convinced they have the 'X-factor' or some such nonsense, when the truth is that they can't sing for sh1t.
Innertube

Positive affirmation or whatever you want to call it isn't good enough on it's own but having a positive outlook rather than a negative one will really change your outlook. My previous comment on this thread was aimed at one of the most negative posters to ever appear on this forum. Basically representing everything that is bad about forums.

Always do your research before agreeing with somebody misterman or else you will get parked in the same place as them.
mister man

innertube...
you call it negative, i call it realistic...

tbh, the worst thing in forums is what you did with your laughing smiley, not what i do imho..

i just say what i think, rather than being a sheep.
i understand a lot of people dont like that..

good luck today to all
superfrank

i agree mister man has posted some rather odd comments!, but maybe that's just his tone - and it doesn't mean everything he says has no value.
mister man

thanks frank..
i accept im quirky...

and not always right, and that It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them.

i dont want this thread hijacked and to be about me, its about positivity etc on which im just passing on my views.

happy trading all
Innertube

Curiously I think we have a few posts here that show the negative positive balance in broad daylight. My post wasn't aimed at misterman at all, it was aimed at Quinny. I was just letting misterman know that Quinny has a bit of a history.
superfrank

fair enough, i got the wrong end of the stick.
Innertube

NP, that's what I like about this forum. Lots of sports talk and we all get along.
Iron

superfrank wrote:successful people have to have some talent in the first place (for trader's some decent edges). a PMA just helps them to keep focused to trust in their ability and maintain confidence (e.g. Tiger Woods).
Yes, but attitude can determine whether that talent is realised fully.

Take the footballer Torres. When he was at Liverpool, he could score for fun, and ended up being sold for £50 billion. At Chelsea, he's been a total flop. He still has the same footballing skills as his did at Liverpool, so so his failure at Chelsea has to be due to his inner game...
superfrank wrote:a person with little or no talent can read all the self-help rubbish in the world, but all it will give them is a misguided belief that can be dangerous for their mental health.
The good self-help stuff basically says 'You probably have more ability than you realise. However, you can't expect huge success overnight. You have to put the hours in and be willing to put your ego aside'...
superfrank wrote:look at all these idiots who go on talent shows... many of them convinced they have the 'X-factor' or some such nonsense, when the truth is that they can't sing for sh1t.
I'd say the problem with lots of those contestants is that they want the fame, glory and adulation, but they don't want to spend endless hours doing exercises to improve their singing ability, or to reach deep down into their soul and intensely experience whatever emotion the song they're singing is expressing...

Jeff
Iron

I agree. That's why I post so often here.

As for your smiley, I disagree with Mister Man. I think smileys are a good way of saying 'Although what I've written might sound very direct, I'm not having a go or being sarcastic'. I guess you can't please all the people all the time... :)

Jeff
Innertube wrote:NP, that's what I like about this forum. Lots of sports talk and we all get along.
Iron

mister man wrote:innertube...
you call it negative, i call it realistic.
Positive thinking doesn't equate to self-delusion. It doesn't advocate being in denial about bad things that are happening or could happen. Rather, it's about saying 'What's the best way forward from here?', and being grateful for the good things in life, whilst not spending all your time shaking your fists at the sky...

When you're on your deathbed, I doubt you'll think 'I wish I'd spent more time worrying and getting angry about stuff, rather than being happy!'.

Jeff
Iron

Interesting interview with self-help guru Tony Robbins, who says 'I'm not a positive thinking guy':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etArvM1W ... AAAAAAAAAg

Jeff

Return to “Trading Psychology”