Great piece on sports psychology

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
Euler

The tragedy of Fernando Torres - FT.com

FT Magazine http://on.ft.com/yUPr19
superfrank

just read that, a really good read - especially the Michael Robinson opening paragraphs.
PeterLe

I dont think Torres is the first or the last to experience this...it can be short term or long term. By short term for e.g. the closing stages of the Masters..many good opportunities just by laying the leader and then refusing to trade out till you are in profit..

two sentences that jumped out at me from the FT text were these two:-

"The mysteries of form may reside in the subconscious but it also appears to be true that the problem is worsened by thinking too much and, as a likely consequence, trying too hard"

"As for Lionel Messi, not just the world’s best player but a candidate for best of all time, he is no party-going fashion model, like Ronaldo, but has the advantage of not being a deep thinker and, above all, of seemingly playing the game as if he were still in the schoolyard"

Isn't that a reoccurring theme in the forum..? Dont try too hard; have a go and enjoy it ?? If it is good enough for Messi..
Regards
Peter
superfrank

yep, it comes down to fear. if you play or trade with fear you'll generally lose (or at best under-perform).

when Torres missed that open goal at Old Trafford i suspect that, because of his poor form, what flashed through his mind after he'd rounded the keeper and realised he only had to tap the ball in was "shit i can't miss this" instead of "YES i've scored" (which would have been the case had he been playing with confidence). the "shit i can't miss this" thought became a self-fulfilling doubt - almost as if his subconscious made him miss it on purpose for doubting himself.

if there's one player ever who plays without fear, and with a love of doing beautiful things on the pitch, it's defo Messi.
lord

All players and more importantly for betting and trading teams go on to the field of play with a mindset. If we can anaylyse this mindset amongst other factors then in many cases we can find a winning trade.

This weekend we have Liverpool v Arsenal two teams who both won last week. Liverpool after a hard 120 mins came thru against Cardiff. Arsenal improved as the match went on against Tottenham and came out comfortable winners. Ask yourself who has most to lose and who has most to gain and you may come to the conclusion that both have = amounts to lose and gain.

You may conclude that both have = amounts to lose and gain as i have done so the mindset will be Liverpool on the front foot going for the win with Arsenal more cautious not wanting to lose the advantage from their win against Tottenham. I expect this to be a draw with both teams just about satisfied. I cannot see Arsenal winning so will lay Arsenal but i fully expect the draw to be the result after 90 mins.

A better example may be QPR who have not performed so far for Mark Hughes. They and he will be looking for a win against Everton and definately not a loss. If they lose they will certainly be in the bottom 3 so Hughes and the team cant allow that to happen. Their mindset will be "we need a win". They may not get it but should avoid defeat. A lay of Everton an ex Mark Hughes team should mean at least a point for QPR.

If you anaylsye most games and see who "needs" to win as opposed to who "wants" to win and then taking the prices into consideration place your trades.
lord

Btw i see the poll on Peters blog on whether the markets are easier or harder to trade comes down in favour of harder to trade. If you take that mindset into your trading you are expecting to lose with "the markets so much harder to trade"

A positive but realistic mindset without preconceived opinions on that days trading is surely a better place to start.

Plus why group all markets together in such a generalisation?

I suspect those who trade sensibly on markets they know will find the same level of difficulty/ease as normal.
lord

Continuing this discussion on psychology and to the way Bet Angel members approach their trading.

I find that to be at my best i have to be in the right frame of mind, have had enough sleep, no distractions from family or friends and be set up for the day.

To me this is not a hobby and i want and expect that by the time i turn off my computer after trading to be in profit.

If i approach trading in a half hearted way or with a dip in dip out mentality i can be sure i will lose.

If you can clear your head of outside influences and not in between races/matches visit other websites and fully focus on your trading i think most will find greater success.
Iron

Lord -

Some interesting points there - Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)

Jeff
lord

I realise not everyone can spend the amount of time on Betfair that will reap the most benefits. However i would urge my friends on here to do some testing on their state of mind when trading.

A couple of points i have found helpful.

1. When you start your trading day act as if you are going to work, get up have a shower, put some decent clothes on, set your desk ready with everything you need, eat before your start trading and set yourself a finishing time. These actions "trick" the mind in to taking your days exertions more seriously.

The alternative, is get out of bed, leave your dressing gown on, keep going back and forward to the fridge, trade on later when the family come home or the telephone starts ringing. You mind then thinks you are in "fun mode".

In work mode you take less risks(and win more)in fun mode you take bigger risks (as its just fun).
CaerMyrddin

I remember reading an article on how many finantial traders spent all day on their pyjamas, and the number was impressive.

Tbh, I'm on the PJ's team :lol:
lord

Maybe we should have a Pyjama v Suited and Booted poll :D

Return to “Trading Psychology”