"ANY Selection" (General tab of Automation Dialog Box)

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.
firlandsfarm

Nice try Jim :) but nope :( Just downloaded and installed 1.47.0 but still gives error message.
Dallas

Ill screen shot how i set it up... 2 mins
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dallas

Thats all it was, and the fixed odds cond that the back price is < 10.0
firlandsfarm

OK, thanks for that, I've typed that in. The only difference I can see is that I didn't use the Place Bet Triggers, I was using Number of mathched/unmatched Conditions ... I'll report back after a few races :)
ShaunWhite

jimibt wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:17 pm
I've tackled this issue before when using ANY.. by assigning a signal value to the bet once it has been placed. I then on subsequent iterations of the logic, determine whether such signal for the selection already exists and ignore that selection if this is the case.

this approach may or may not be appropriate for your scenario. I don't know the inner workings of BA, but my gut feel tells me that Any Selection DOES NOT loop round all the selections as an atomic process. Im my opinion, it takes the first matching selection on each re-arm and applies the logic to that. this is why i add a signal to a selection that has already been visited and processed.

hope this helps
Para 1 :Exactly, that's what I said in my posting.
Para 2: I'm not sure either if the loop is exitted once a rule has been triggered, so I re-arm at 0.1 sec so if one fires it's not long until it comes round again to check the others.
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:48 pm
jimibt wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:17 pm
I've tackled this issue before when using ANY.. by assigning a signal value to the bet once it has been placed. I then on subsequent iterations of the logic, determine whether such signal for the selection already exists and ignore that selection if this is the case.

this approach may or may not be appropriate for your scenario. I don't know the inner workings of BA, but my gut feel tells me that Any Selection DOES NOT loop round all the selections as an atomic process. Im my opinion, it takes the first matching selection on each re-arm and applies the logic to that. this is why i add a signal to a selection that has already been visited and processed.

hope this helps
Para 1 :Exactly, that's what I said in my posting.
Para 2: I'm not sure either if the loop is exitted once a rule has been triggered, so I re-arm at 0.1 sec so if one fires it's not long until it comes round again to check the others.
shaun - I think what you had implied may have been subtly different. In the earlier post you'd hinted that the Any selection object was similar to a For loop. It is in fact actually a single hit entity that only attempts to find the first/default selection that matches the criteria. it may give the impression of being a loop entity if you have a short re-arm on it. but to clarify, it definitely does not loop round all selections - it only finds the 1st matching.

hope you get the gist of the subtle diff here. I think many folks (myself included in earlier times) have a very vague understanding of what the Any selection mechanics are - i agree that a clarifying entry in the help texts would go a long way to rebalancing this..
firlandsfarm

Shaun, I still cannot see how you assign the Signal to the unidentified runner. Let's say I set up a Signal and name it RunnerA, how many RunnerA signals are there? Is there just the one that is applied against the selection being monitored? If so how do I set and name a Signal for all the other selections that meet the rule on subsequent rearming/triggering? I can see that Signals can be very powerful but I'm not following how they are used in conjunction with the ANY option.
firlandsfarm

Hi Dallas, that seems to be working fine ... my thanks to you Jim and Shaun.
jimibt

Ok, it's a two part process. first, you need to identify the selection that you want to place a bet against as shown below (only important criteria shown):
any-part-1.PNG
Then, in the signals tab, attach the signal to the entry that you've identified, so as not to allow it to retrigger:
any-part-2.PNG
This means that in effect, as soon as you encounter an ANY selection that you want to use, you immediately flag it in the signals area. Thus, it cannot be used again as it will always be excluded by the criteria.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShaunWhite

jimibt wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:05 pm
shaun - I think what you had implied may have been subtly different. In the earlier post you'd hinted that the Any selection object was similar to a For loop. It is in fact actually a single hit entity that only attempts to find the first/default selection that matches the criteria. it may give the impression of being a loop entity if you have a short re-arm on it. but to clarify, it definitely does not loop round all selections - it only finds the 1st matching.

hope you get the gist of the subtle diff here. I think many folks (myself included in earlier times) have a very vague understanding of what the Any selection mechanics are - i agree that a clarifying entry in the help texts would go a long way to rebalancing this..
I get it, we get it . Like a For/Next with an Exit For when conditions are met:)
jimibt

shaun, i think that what you say possibly best sums it up i.e. it's not a loop, merely a function pointer to an item in a list that meets the criteria. :shock: :geek:
ShaunWhite

firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:14 pm
Shaun, I still cannot see how you assign the Signal to the unidentified runner. Let's say I set up a Signal and name it RunnerA, how many RunnerA signals are there? Is there just the one that is applied against the selection being monitored? If so how do I set and name a Signal for all the other selections that meet the rule on subsequent rearming/triggering? I can see that Signals can be very powerful but I'm not following how they are used in conjunction with the ANY option.
I know you've done it now but for next time.... the selection level signals do take a while to get your head around.

Obviously signals can be named any way you like but taking your example, instead of naming the signal 'RunnerA' imagine if it was named as 'BetFired'. What BA effectively does internally is to create an array of variables (or signals), with one element for each selection. That means internally you automatically create signals called BetFired(1) BetFired(2) BetFired(3) etc, one for each runner.......In the BA rules, you only ever need to refer to it as simply 'BetFired' because BA knows the selection that's currently been processed, and look will look at the signal called BetFired(selection number).
jimibt

good explanation shaun!! ;0
firlandsfarm

OK, so when a Signal is named it effectively sets up a one dimensional array to reserve a variable with that name for each runner. You just need these things explained! :) Thanks again Shaun.
ShaunWhite

firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:29 pm
OK, so when a Signal is named it effectively sets up a one dimensional array to reserve a variable with that name for each runner. You just need these things explained! :) Thanks again Shaun.
Thanks, no problem. It's so satisfying when the penny drops.
So, just the hard bit left how eh?...turning that dull nugget of knowledge into piles of shiny cash. Trading really is the modern day alchemy in that respect.

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”