Bots V Manual Traders

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.
andrejt

@gazuty

Just curious - how long did it took you to come up with such great strategies aka bots? And did you do manual trading at the beginning and then evolve into bots?

Many thanks for your answers :)
gazuty

I should be clear that not every idea has developed into a great bot. And I've developed any number of losing bots.

My most successful automation was developed after two years of Saturday afternoon manual trading and market observation. I then have consistently refined and tweaked. This has delivered the money to experiment. Without this discovery I might have given up long ago.

Other automations have come through having an idea, building the rules, deploying with small stakes and seeing if profitable.

My ideas are very simple and are generally based around expected return and harvesting over the long run. So I'll use low stakes and run something for months before I decide if it's a long term winner or long term loser.

Sometimes my ideas are just plain wrong and turn out to be a guaranteed loser after I've given them more thought.

Finally, I keep track of what works and what doesn't.

Hope that helps.
marko236

Hi, Gazuty,

You say you moved your manual trading into making a bot, the postion i'm in is that i can make small amounts of money per market mostly between £1 to £3 and the odd one higher with the odd small loss, you said that you would probably have giving up if you didn't get your bots going was this because you were in the same postion?

What i'm saying is if you can make a average profit of £2 per market manual trading the amount of money you make isn't worth the time spent trading, but if you can use a bot it is?
andrejt

marko236 wrote:i can make small amounts of money per market mostly between £1 to £3
What stakes are you using to achieve that?
marko236

andrejt wrote:
marko236 wrote:i can make small amounts of money per market mostly between £1 to £3
What stakes are you using to achieve that?
£20 to £40, match between £300 to £500 most of the time.
PeterLe

In the summer there are circa 800 races, so at £3/Race it all adds up! (and that's just the UK)
marko236

PeterLe wrote:In the summer there are circa 800 races, so at £3/Race it all adds up! (and that's just the UK)
Anything around £5 is really good, get to £10+ and your up there with the big traders.
Wyndon

gazuty wrote:
On a Saturday I have five or six instances of bet angel open and running. On a weekday I have at least three open.

Some markets i'm always watching in guardian, cycling say five markets on a 1 second basis.

It's just impossible for a manual trader to track everything guardian tracks for me. Hats off to Peter and the Bet Angel team for providing this functionality.
Hi Gazuty, I'm interested to know whether the majority of your bots are rule-based automation, or do you use Excel extensively? I was initially attracted to BetAngel as I had a strategy that required complex calculation in real time and BetAngel allowed me to automate that. I realise, somewhat belatedly, that I've totally ignored non Excel automation and that I may be denying myself opportunities that exist there.
gazuty

Wyndon wrote:Hi Gazuty, I'm interested to know whether the majority of your bots are rule-based automation, or do you use Excel extensively? I was initially attracted to BetAngel as I had a strategy that required complex calculation in real time and BetAngel allowed me to automate that. I realise, somewhat belatedly, that I've totally ignored non Excel automation and that I may be denying myself opportunities that exist there.
I don't use excel any more, I only use guardian with rules based automation. IMHO guardian automation is very powerful. Some of my automations have over 100 rules each with multiple conditions and guardian works fine.
Wyndon

I've obviously got a whole new area to explore!

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”