Doing a Double

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.
firlandsfarm

Hi all, is there a way on BA to set up a bet where the stake is equal to the return from another bet i.e. a 'double'
jimibt

I'd think that may only be possible using a few bespoke functions in BA=>Excel. Unfortunately, each BA event is blissfully ignorant to any other events prior to it.
ShaunWhite

jimibt wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:59 am
Unfortunately, each BA event is blissfully ignorant to any other events prior to it.
Or do you mean fortunately? The request appears to contravene one of the trading commandments PW picked up while on holiday in Mount Sinai.
"Thou shalt not take prior results into consideration" ;)

Aside from that slightly tongue-in-cheek comment, the practical problem with implementing this is how would you identify 'another bet', by MarketID, SelctionID, BetID?
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:02 pm
jimibt wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:59 am
Unfortunately, each BA event is blissfully ignorant to any other events prior to it.
Or do you mean fortunately? The request appears to contravene one of the trading commandments PW picked up while on holiday in Mount Sinai.
"Thou shalt not take prior results into consideration" ;)

Aside from that slightly tongue-in-cheek comment, the practical problem with implementing this is how would you identify 'another bet', by MarketID, SelctionID, BetID?
Shaun - I may be mistaken, but my understanding of the OP was more to do with running a compounded staking campaign against any subsequently identified bets, should there be an overhang from the prior bet. a kinda rolling stake if you want. but yes, i did mean fortunately :D

that said, i do recall PW's meeting with David Koresh (AKA the tablet broker) - no one seems to mention that any more - lol
ShaunWhite

I accept it's got its uses, I was being flippant as usual :)
Devil of a job to figure out how you'd do it though......unless you had seperate named 'acca' banks that you could tag markets with so any gains go in there.....and then have those banks as staking options. And then a way to get the money from your acca bank back to your main bank if you didn't use it.....it's a potentially messy one, but quite fun as a design job.

.....that's heading towards being a "proper" trading system where you can run seperate portfolios and nominate accounts. Next step is to replace the BF api with an LSE api and bobs yer uncle......or maybe I shouldn't fell asleep listening to Dark Pools on Audible. :roll:
firlandsfarm

Guys, guys thanks for your input but me thinks you are reading too much into this … I am only referring to a good old common or garden double as you can do every day with every bookie! Let's say I want to do a double that Manure will win an afternoon kick-off and Liverpool will win the evening kick-off just as I can do with any bookie but looking to obtain the better odds usually available on Betfair. This is not trading, just "place a double and go have a few beers" betting!

My reason is this … I have compared past results of my bets and I get a more favourable return if I double each selection with the next selection to follow! I understand the general no-no's of not doing doubles but Betfair's tight books and statistical fact is stronger than folklore! :)
firlandsfarm

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:02 pm
... how would you identify 'another bet', by MarketID, SelctionID, BetID?
It would have to be BetID Shaun as that is the only one exclusive to a single bet. It would be a "depending on the outcome of [this bet] do this [action]". It's a type of Order (bet!) that has been used in The City for yonks. I've often wondered why BA doesn't make that available for automation … it would also help to overcome the biggest negative I have with BA, when an action of one rule unintentionally interferes with another bet. The most common one I have is when a Green-up does just that to single individual bets that are intended to run their natural course and either win or not.

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”