latency

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.
THENUTS

Hi,

If i am laying with offset ( in running ) can anyone tell me :

1) what is the latency from the intial lay bet being matched to the offset back bet appearing in the market. I know there is an in running delay ( 1 second ? )but it seems to take an awful long time for the ofset bet to appear in the market - maybe 2-3 seconds which is far too long for what i am trying to do

2) Whatever the answer to the first question is , what can i do to reduce the time it takes ?

Any pointers would be much appreciated
JollyGreen

This could be related to the size of your stakes. If you are using small stakes that require multiple bets at 1000 or 1.01 to circumvent the minimum stake than you are going to increase the delay substantially.

Generally discounting latency, if the bet is above £2.00 it should take 1 second to place the opening bet and when matched it should take another 1 second to place the offset. This would increase by 1 second for each circumvent bet you place.
THENUTS

Thanks for the response jolly green. My lay bet is already in the market waiting to get matched so that is not the issue. When i get matched it seems to be taking longer than 1 second for the offset back bet to arrive in the market and sometimes this means the market moves to where i want it to be then away again. The whole thing is fully automated via both automation in guardian and also linked to a spreadsheet so maybe there is something in there where the calculations are taking the extra time. Maybe its my internet connection. Im testing at the moment so my lay stakes are just £7 and the offsetting back stakes around the £5 mark so well above the min.

Maybe combining latency and the internet connection and the automation and spreadsheets all add up to 1/2 to 1 second and ill just have to adjust the strategy to accommodate it
6thSense
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

What is the response time between your computer and Betfair? This can be seen at the bottom next to the red 'R'. If you are in the UK these will be around 100ms or less. 30ms to zero if using a VPS.

Check your comms settings are set correctly. The recommended settings can be seen here - http://www.betangel.com/knowledge-base/ ... d-settings

Bear in mind that no matter how fast you update that Betfair only update their cache 5 times per second.

Seeing the offset bet appear after 2-3 seconds when in-running sounds normal to me.
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

You also need to consider how often you are refreshing the market. Are you switching Bet Angel into the market so that it refreshes at Bet Angel's primary refresh rate or does it only update when Guardian cycles round to that market?

If the latter, the bet information for the market may only be updating once every couple of seconds slowing down its reaction to a bet being filled. Perhaps monitor the 'Last update' value in Guardian for that market to see how often the updates occur.
THENUTS

thanks as always 6th Sense. If you think that 2-3 seconds delay for an offset bet to appear in running is normal then that is good enough for me. I was expecting someting very close to 1 second - so now i know

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”