VPS CPU Speed

xitian

Yeah, it shouldn't take 200ms, although opening the file initially will take longer than writing to it subsequently. You should try retaining a handle to the file and see if it continues to take that long with subsequent writes.

You can also try writing to the logs asynchronously so that your program doesn't block while that's happening and can get on with other stuff.

If writing does prove to be constantly slow, I would definitely recommend getting a VPS backed by SSD.
randn123

I benchmarked my vps hard drive using hdtune software and compared it to my home computer with a standard hard drive.

VPS Hard Drive

Transfer Rate:
Minimum: .1 MB/sec
Maximum: 62.8 MB/sec
Mean: 19.9 MB/sec

Access Time 87.6 Milliseconds
Burst Rate 33.2 MB/second

My standard home hdd drive:

Transfer Rate:
Minimum: 35.8 MB/sec
Maximum: 141.1 MB/sec
Mean: 108.3 MB/sec

Access Time 17.0 Milliseconds
Burst Rate 125.9 MB/second
randn123

betfair listmarketbook api response times:

average 133 milliseconds
minimum 22 milliseconds
maximum 3519 milliseconds
Euler

I was going to get somebody to contact you through sporting servers, but your details here don't match anything over there?
randn123

Euler wrote:I was going to get somebody to contact you through sporting servers, but your details here don't match anything over there?

Thanks for following up with me. I am going to try to improve my program first and do some more benchmarks before getting a dedicated server.
randn123

randn123 wrote:betfair listmarketbook api response times:

average 133 milliseconds
minimum 22 milliseconds
maximum 3519 milliseconds
Does anyone have any idea if my response times are typical?
Euler

I get about 15-30ms on average through Bet Angel.

Betfair throw the odd spanner in the works to get the odd higher ping. But we have it running as fast as we possibly can, as nearest as we can to Betfair.
andyfuller

Euler wrote:I get about 15-30ms on average through Bet Angel.
Sorry to jump in but Peter what are you usually getting for Betdaq out of interest and is it on a vps or just home pc? Thanks.
LinusP

Betfair throw the odd spanner in the works to get the odd higher ping. But we have it running as fast as we possibly can, as nearest as we can to Betfair.
How does betAngel calculate response time? Is it simply the time taken between calling the API and receiving the response. If so isn't it a function of what / how much data you are requesting?

I did some tests today on my proprietary software hosted on tagadab and averaged 13ms.
randn123

LinusP wrote:

How does betAngel calculate response time? Is it simply the time taken between calling the API and receiving the response. If so isn't it a function of what / how much data you are requesting?

I did some tests today on my proprietary software hosted on tagadab and averaged 13ms.
I am pretty sure it is just measured by the time it takes to complete a request. I am not sure what variance you get from the response on the VPS. I got around 26 milliseconds on average in a non-buy time. I didn't measure it in a busy time yet.
randn123

LinusP wrote:

I am pretty sure it is just measured by the time it takes to complete a request. I am not sure what variance you get from the response on the VPS. I got around 26 milliseconds on average in a non-buy time. I didn't measure it in a busy time yet.
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

It's the time taken to prepare the request, send it to betfair, await the response and decompress it. So yes, the time will depend on the amount of date being returned. That's why we display three responsiveness values (prices, prices with full market depth, and bet information retrieval). The aim being to show the responsiveness at that present time for the market you are trading. The servers & network routings are tuned for optimum performance with the betfair API. Bet Angel's connection smoothing helps improve the trading experience. Also the Server Edition of Bet Angel Professional has been optimised for use on our VPS.

Obviously if Betfair is having a bad day, and is taking longer to process requests, then response times will increase, but we do everything we can to limit the impact of that.
LinusP

Ok that's interesting, are you able to go into more depth on what you mean by smoothing and optimising for vps?
Archangel

Is there a minimum or recommended broadband speed that would be required for trading using Betangel. Or what is the important number when getting data to Betfair servers and back..... is it Ping rate ? ie: I know from online gaming that a low Ping rate is vital when sending and receiving packets from the servers. so i was wondering if this has a similar baring on trading ?

Return to “Technology”