Help - Stopping Windows 10 Auto Install

andyfuller

Hi,

Can anyone help me.

Windows is trying to force me to install windows 10 and I can't figure out how to stop it.

I have been getting annoying messages offering me the chance to upgrade for weeks and I have just been closing them without reading them - it seems that doing this in Microsoft's view is me agreeing to 'up'grade.

I have just had a pop up saying it is ready to install and only gave me two options. One was to leave it and it was counting down from 60 mins the other was to postpone it so I opted to postpone but now I am stuck on a screen which only gives me a chance to postpone and not cancel it.
Windows 10 upgrade screen.png
Can anyone please help as I don't want it to install
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeTiss

I started opening Task Manager and deleted GWX from processes list

After a week it stopped trying an automatic install

Hopefully, that should get shot of it Andy
andyfuller

Thanks for those replies - I will have a look at them both.

Yesterday it all of a sudden decided to shut my PC down and start installing it.

I was in the middle of some work but thankfully didn't lose too much. Only option to stop it was to turn the whole thing off at the plug.

Warning to anyone else - don't just keep clicking the 'X' to close the pop up as that seems to equal you agree to it being installed eventually.
andyfuller

Many thanks for that link - very straight forward and have also freed up some much needed space on my solid state hard drive as I didn't realise it had downloaded almost 6GB of files without my knowledge.

In case anyone else wants to check here is the link to the utility:

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

The reason for not updating isn't that I don't want to necessarily. I don't know enough about it, the next few days just isn't convenient due to work and if it is worthwhile. Also I am perfectly happy with Windows 7 as I like its traditional windows layout. Any of the newer versions I have seen have been horrible with more of a mobile operating system layout.

Would people recommend moving to Windows 10?
marko236

Great help, thanks guys :D, Windows 10 was hiding in my files.
jimibt

andyfuller wrote:
In case anyone else wants to check here is the link to the utility:

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm
that little utility is absolutely fab -painless and fast! thanks
jimibt

bbc news seems to feel strongly about the m$ tactic on this *upgrade*: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36367221

Return to “Technology”