New PC setup for trading

PDC

arbitrage16 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:28 am
ok thanks SHR - when you say not up to scratch, how do you mean? On my current system which is an old laptop, towards the business end of a race in play there is a lot of lag and stutter and that's something I want to avoid
Have Task Manager open showing your RAM levels during this period and see if that is topping out. I had this problem of lag and stutter and it turned out the CPU etc was running with loads of spare head room but it was my 4GB of RAM that was hitting it max and causing the bottle neck.

I spent £50 upgrading to 12GB and it fixed the issue and now I have no trouble at all.

It is worth looking at what programs are also running in the background that load themselves up at start up and Chrome uses a lot of resources if you have a few tabs open.

So before spending a lot of money this is worth checking as you may be able to fix the issue for little money, you will need to check that your motherboard can take more ram.
arbitrage16

thanks PDC, I did a full optimisation following a kind nerd on youtube for 30 mins and it made little difference so I think I'm maxing out what I've got :)
Dublin_Flyer

Try downloading AVG PC Tuneup, I think it's a free 30 day trial. It clears out a lot of redundant files, orphan files, it's basically a laxative for your PC and clears a whole heap of sh1t out. As long as your C drive or wherever your operating system is (I'm assuming Windows, and C drive) not too full, it'll bring it back towards max efficiency. CCleaner (formerly known as Crap Cleaner) is a very small file and it's brilliant for a regular flush of your system too.
Some of the better known antivirus programs like Symantecs Norton Antivirus (£££) are considered by many in IT to be more like a virus than a solution these days because they consume so many resources constantly checking your file system for issues. Spybot Search & Destroy (free) was another I had problems with, Malwarebytes anti-malware (free) I found to be much better.

Presently I use Avast as my main antivirus, it's free and very unobtrusive, Malwarebytes anti-malware (free version), and Ccleaner (free) for housekeeping. It makes it pretty easy to maintain if you put it on a list of your weekend chores the first weekend of the month; check batteries in smoke/carbon monoxide alarm, worm/flea dose the dog/cat, full pc virus scan when you're not using PC, backup pc, make extra copy of your good BetAngel automations (I save mine in a Gmail draft), check oil in car, tell significant other their hair looks nice, check the home-brew etc.
arbitrage16

Dublin_Flyer wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:53 pm

Presently I use Avast as my main antivirus, it's free and very unobtrusive, Malwarebytes anti-malware (free version), and Ccleaner (free) for housekeeping. It makes it pretty easy to maintain if you put it on a list of your weekend chores the first weekend of the month; check batteries in smoke/carbon monoxide alarm, worm/flea dose the dog/cat, full pc virus scan when you're not using PC, backup pc, make extra copy of your good BetAngel automations (I save mine in a Gmail draft), check oil in car, tell significant other their hair looks nice, check the home-brew etc.
Think that was my first laugh generated by the BA forum, many thanks :P
jordancaver123

thanks
Wolf1877

Will a graphics card help trading or is it just More Cowbell?

I came across this thread on a forum discussing perceived benefits or non-benefits of a graphics card for a number cruching machine.
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/ ... cel?page=2

There was a very obtuse comment on page 2 from a Microsoft Brand Respresentative who said "All i heard is we need more RAM... or cowbell". Turns out this was a reference to a US popular culture TV sketch filmed in 2000 called More Cowbell about Blue Oyster Cult's 1976 hit Dont Fear the Reaper. Quite funny.
https://vimeo.com/126322279

So the jury is out. Does a graphics card help really Bet Angel number crunching? Or is more RAM the main benefit and the graphics card just "More Cowbell"?

Return to “Technology”