Windows Pictures Help

JasBarrow

Wondering if anybody can help with this problem.

I recently done a full reinstall of Windows 10 and everything seems to be working fine except for this issue with pictures.

I cant seem to save certain images from Twitter into my Pictures folder anymore. When I right click to save image it just shows as a blank page in the folder. More annoying when i double click it I keep getting the 'How do you want to open this file' pop up and the Windows Photos app isn't even in the list so i cant open these files. I've reinstalled the old Windows Photo Viewer so I can at least open the images but before the re-install of Windows any image i saved from Twitter always showed up in pictures.

Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek27

Have you clicked on the 'more apps' link to see if Windows Photo Viewer is listed?
Derek27

Alternatively, go to Settings | Apps | Default apps, and choose the default app for 'Photo viewer'.
JasBarrow

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:11 pm
Have you clicked on the 'more apps' link to see if Windows Photo Viewer is listed?
Yes Windows Photo Viewer is listed under more apps so I can open the images that way.

Derek27 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:22 pm
Alternatively, go to Settings | Apps | Default apps, and choose the default app for 'Photo viewer'.
But.. its not listed when I try to change it in Default Apps. Either way I dont know why when I save an image from Twitter its showing as blank in the pictures folder. Never had this issue before
Derek27

I think it could be something to do with the "jpg_large" file extension. My photo viewer opens jpg files but won't open, and I've never encountered the "jpg_large" file type.

Have you downloaded your pictures off the cloud?

Has the "_large" been inadvertently added to the filename?

If that is the case, make a copy of one of them with the "_large" removed and see if that opens seamlessly?
spreadbetting

JasBarrow wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:38 pm

But.. its not listed when I try to change it in Default Apps. Either way I dont know why when I save an image from Twitter its showing as blank in the pictures folder. Never had this issue before
It's down to the way chrome resolves the twitter html when you right click and save as. You either need to set the default for .jpg_large files to whatever photo viewer you use or change the extension to .jpg from .jpg_large when right click saving. Basically the browser changes the colon in the html to a underscore as it can't resolve the colon within the html

The html would look something like https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BBoix8aCAAAl9mK.jpg:large and when you right click to save it resolves the filetype to jpg_large
gutuami

JasBarrow wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:42 pm
Wondering if anybody can help with this problem.

I recently done a full reinstall of Windows 10 and everything seems to be working fine except for this issue with pictures.

I cant seem to save certain images from Twitter into my Pictures folder anymore. When I right click to save image it just shows as a blank page in the folder. More annoying when i double click it I keep getting the 'How do you want to open this file' pop up and the Windows Photos app isn't even in the list so i cant open these files. I've reinstalled the old Windows Photo Viewer so I can at least open the images but before the re-install of Windows any image i saved from Twitter always showed up in pictures.

Any ideas?
press F2 and rename the file with .jpg extension.
you might have to untick "hide extensions for known file types" [View, Options, View]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JasBarrow

Thanks Chaps, I didn't realise it was just a matter of removing Large from the file name. Still dont know why I've only had this issue since the reinstall though, like I said I saved plenty of images from Twitter previously without having this issue.
ShaunWhite

Stick with what's working but you needn't have removed the 'large' instead just tell windows that. Jpg_large files are images.

The file extentions in windows have absolutely no impact on what the files actually contain. You can rename a .doc to a . Xyz if you want, it's the windows associations that choose which application opens it.

The other day on here I saw someone saying to rename a baf to txt so that it could be edited in notepad. Not necessary, just open notepad and then open the baf. Or better still tell windows via file associations that a baf file is a text file that can be opened with notepad.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:22 pm
Stick with what's working but you needn't have removed the 'large' instead just tell windows that. Jpg_large files are images.

The file extentions in windows have absolutely no impact on what the files actually contain. You can rename a .doc to a . Xyz if you want, it's the windows associations that choose which application opens it.

The other day on here I saw someone saying to rename a baf to txt so that it could be edited in notepad. Not necessary, just open notepad and then open the baf. Or better still tell windows via file associations that a baf file is a text file that can be opened with notepad.
What exactly is the point in having a 'jpg_large' filetype if it's the same as a jpg?

When I download files from my Google Drive it annoyingly changes ampersands to underscores, so I just assumed it might be the same problem.
JasBarrow

ShaunWhite wrote:
I've tried this by going in to 'Choose default apps by file type' but jpeg_large files aren't in the list. When I save the image from Twitter the only option I have to save the file as is jpeg_large I don't get any other option.

For now all I can do is manually change the name of the file when I save them as it works. Like I said earlier though I wish I knew what changed since doing the re-install.
spreadbetting

JasBarrow wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:28 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
I've tried this by going in to 'Choose default apps by file type' but jpeg_large files aren't in the list. When I save the image from Twitter the only option I have to save the file as is jpeg_large I don't get any other option.

For now all I can do is manually change the name of the file when I save them as it works. Like I said earlier though I wish I knew what changed since doing the re-install.

All you need to do is assign jpeg_large files to whatever picture viewer you want

Go to one of the jpeg_large files, right click on it to bring up the Open With menu
Untitled1.png
Then click more options
Untitled2.png
and scroll to whatever program you want to open pictures with but before you click on it make sure you have ticked the box "Use this app for all jpeg_large files" that way you set the default progam for all jpeg_large files
Untitled.png
JasBarrow

Even with the box checked I have to repeat these steps each time I want to open a file.

Its not a big issue, I can just change the file name its just a mild annoyance.
spreadbetting

Dunno why it's not working for you, I can set the association to whatever I choose. When you RIGHT click the file does it give you the Edit, open with menu? If Open With appears it shows you have a filetype associated with that extension and should be able to change to whatever.
Untitle11d.png
Untitle1d.png
Untitled.png
JasBarrow

Yeah I can right-click and scroll down to Windows Photo Viewer to open the file with the box ticked... but if I want to open the image again I have to repeat the steps.

Return to “Technology”