What should I use VPN or Tor?

PeterLe

PDC wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:11 pm

Can you give us an actual example of it in use?

PDC : Shaun is correct; Try searching for something on Amazon..then when using google for general use, you often see advertisements displaying the very same items you were searching for previously on Amazon. Another Eg, I was looking for a PC Card from Scan Computers. Even though I bought it, I was still getting the tailored adverts pitched at me for ages..

Edit ; I bought Nord VPN and use on all my devices now by the way,,
PDC

That is totally different to what he was talking about though, that is tracking you for adverts using cookies which I aggree happens.

It is not however what he actually said, he never mentioned tracking for adverts, one of the crazy things he tried to make appear as common was:

"Take home shopping, the prices offered are adjusted according to the value of the device you're using to look at them with."
PDC

PeterLe wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:58 pm
ry searching for something on Amazon..then when using google for general use, you often see advertisements displaying the very same items you were searching for previously on Amazon. Another Eg, I was looking for a PC Card from Scan Computers. Even though I bought it, I was still getting the tailored adverts pitched at me for ages..
But were they based on what they had heard you talking about via your computer/device microphone as Shaun actually said they were based upon, not your previous viewing history:

Shaun:

"adverts are chosen by listening to your device microphone all day and identifying keywords."
PeterLe

PDC wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:08 pm
PeterLe wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:58 pm
ry searching for something on Amazon..then when using google for general use, you often see advertisements displaying the very same items you were searching for previously on Amazon. Another Eg, I was looking for a PC Card from Scan Computers. Even though I bought it, I was still getting the tailored adverts pitched at me for ages..
But were they based on what they had heard you talking about via your computer/device microphone as Shaun actually said they were based upon, not your previous viewing history:

Shaun:

"adverts are chosen by listening to your device microphone all day and identifying keywords."
Sorry, I misread it. No they weren't based on my device microphones, they were just viewing history
PDC

Exactly, as I have no one else in my office all day and the only noise is RUK and ATR there must be something wrong with the algos as my adverts aren't linked at all to what the microphones hear all day and the trading computer is worth a lot of money so my prices should be sky high yet they are exactly the same as anyone else pays.

Return to “Technology”