iPad

andyfuller

Cool - any clues as to what the first gadget is?

Looking at getting an Ipad 2, if you were in the market for tablet and didn't already own one would you say the Ipad 2 would be the best one to go for from your knowledge/experience?

Can you not connect a mouse still? I was assuming you would be able to connect the Apple Wireless Keyboard and a Apple Magic Mouse but it sounds like this isn't going to be possible as both connect via Bluetooth I believe.
jimrobo

I still use my ipad2 everyday. Now the cloud stuff is coming out it is going to make it even better as I am rubbish at maintaining music and pictures on it.
andyfuller

jimrobo wrote:My tv puts a very slight delay on the sound! Which means when I multi room everything up and play it all at once it sounds echoey because the apple tv is slightly behind. Not the apple TVs fault though I had exactly the same problem with guitar hero type games on my xbox! Apparently using the digital out on some speakers is likely to fix the latency though.
Jimrobo - not 100% sure about your issue in the above as I haven't used Apple TV but on the Xbox if you use the optical out it should fix the issue. If you use Sky HD you should be using the optical out anyway. I haven't had a Sky standard HD box but on my 1TB box there is an option to alter the delay on the sound so that might be possible on your stuff as well and also you can sometimes alter it on the TV as well depending on what type you have.

But the normal solution is just to use the optical out and you usually get better sound that way as well.
jimrobo

I actually fixed this in the end and got it working great. I had to go into the engineer menu of my tv and hidden within it was a delay on the sound. The tv obviously must take a while to process the picture and display it so samsung add a delay to the sound. By taking off the delay I can play multiroom stuff in unison.
Euler

andyfuller wrote:Cool - any clues as to what the first gadget is?
Don't get too excited. It's a glove. I've used a gaming pad for some time so I thought I would try a glove. It's slightly faster and more flexible than a gaming pad but I didn't find it as useful as I intially thought. However, it is seriously useful if trading on a laptop off site. When I had an outage the other month it was part of my back up plan. I sat in the car waving my glove around like a trading micheal jackson watching my laptop screen. Passers by were seriously confused!
andyfuller

I hope you had your hand visable or that might explain some of the strange looks :lol:

I remember you mentioning you had that a while back now. I looked into it but didn't get one in the end but would be interested to see it in use if you do a video.

All my trading is done at my PC rather than a laptop so can't see it being much use - I still want to try out some touchscreen trading on a big Screen but the cost looked to prohibitive when I looked into it.
Euler

I've got a 21" touchscreen as well! Useful for placing or cancelling orders but less useful for dragging and dropping! We have been playing with all sorts of stuff in the office, its a treasure trove of gadgets. We have been messing around with interactive whiteboards as well. We rented some just to see what it was like. We also tried speech recognition as well.
Photon

Has evenone tried Windows 7 tablet that available from Microsoft? I wanted to my netbook replaced with a small with an ipad or tablet but wanted Windows software as well. I'm not sure whether technology is there yet for both of the platforms to co-exist happily.
andyfuller

I watched some demos of Windows based tablets and they all looked pretty rubbish tbh as the Operating System has not been designed for touch use but more adapted as an after thought. There was an episode on BBC Click where they had Microsoft guy was demonstrating them and lets just say the one click wasn't quite one click!

Peter, do you still use the touchscreen monitor? Don't suppose you could let me where you got it from - it is something I am keen to have a play with as long as the cost isn't huge. I do like interactive white boards but can't see any use for them in trading but I guess for your courses they could be good.

I have tried stuff with Voice Rec. not trading but other stuff and can't say it was great, how have you found it?
Morph

Euler,

I would be very interested to see or hear your thoughts on the Iconia v Ipad. I actually managed to persuade a salesman in pc world to let me try trading on the Iconia in store. Sadly the experience was sloooowwww. At the time, I couldn't tell if this was due to the processor/ windows 7 or just a poor internet connection. From your initial comments, if seems like the latter.

Could be useful. Not pretty though is it? If the Ipad is Sienna Miller, the the Iconia is Hilda Ogden.
Euler

Maybe I can put a comparison video and an opinion on both for the benefit of everybody.
Morph

sounds good. Thanks Euler
andyfuller

I see Amazon are launching their rival to the Ipad today, with their weight behind it I guess it could become a rival.
jimrobo

its sill going to run crappy android honeycomb though
Euler

Return to “Technology”