Chromebook With Microsoft RDP For Bet Angel

bobob1010

I am interested to buy a Chromebook and I was wondering if anyone has experience of using the Microsoft RDP Android app to control Bet Angel on one? Is the performance decent? I know you can also use Chrome Remote Desktop but currently I log in to my remote machine from a Mac and Microsoft RDP is way better than Chrome with regards to both performance and display.
LinusP

Any reason why you wouldn’t use a VPS instead? Likely to be quicker / easier / cheaper / accessible from anywhere...
bobob1010

I already have a remote machine in place. It works very well so I have no need to pay for a VPS.
Wolf1877

bobob1010 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:59 pm
I am interested to buy a Chromebook and I was wondering if anyone has experience of using the Microsoft RDP Android app to control Bet Angel on one? Is the performance decent? I know you can also use Chrome Remote Desktop but currently I log in to my remote machine from a Mac and Microsoft RDP is way better than Chrome with regards to both performance and display.
Bet Angel only runs under Windows so IMO there is no way that you will get it to run on a Chromebook. You could follow Linus's advice to run it on a vps or else just get a PC (you will need either win 10 pro or win 7 pro operating systems to access it via Microsoft Remote Desktop) , set it up in a quiet corner and connect it to ADSL at home and then use Microsoft Remote Desktop or Teamviewer to manage it from your phone or your Mac. For remote use from a phone I'd recommend teamviewer for a home connection as your IP address is likely to change from time to time as your ISP refreshes you connection.

The advantages of Linus's VPS suggestion over a PC at home are potentially a slightly lower latency connection to Betfair servers than a home ADSL. The downside to a VPS is monthly fees which will rise quite a lot for any serious cpu power or memory which you may need if using multiple instances of BA (possibly linked to Excel via Guardian) and connecting to lots of markets.

I use a couple of Dell vostro 3470 SFF (small footprint) 8th generation intel i5 processor machines with windows 10 pro and I leave them on 24/7. Performance is exceptional and they are quiet machines. I upgraded memory up to 16gb and installed an extra NVMEs but I run a lot of disk intensive processing. The downside to windows 10 is you have to keep a close eye on managing your automatic windows updates or else the machine will reboot itself and lose your Bet Angel instances! Set windows to update as slowly as permitted and check the windows update status every few days so you can manage the reboots.
Wolf1877

bobob1010 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:59 am
I already have a remote machine in place. It works very well so I have no need to pay for a VPS.
.... well if you already have a PC and you are just looking to free it up then get a 2nd PC would be my advice.
.... oh and use Teamviewer from your phone. It's easier than Microsoft remote desktop IMO.
bobob1010

Um, seems like either I was not clear or you are not understanding the situation. The Chromebook is the client, it runs the Microsoft RD Android app to connect to the remote machine which in my case is a Windows 10 Pro machine. So i appreciate the replies but my original question still stands. Has anyone used a Chromebook as a client to connect to remote machine for Bet Angel use?

Return to “Technology”