Pc switching off when ba and bf live feed running.

firlandsfarm

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:43 pm
I always buy key only. Windows is usually about £12 and my office pro plus 2019 (non subscriber version so it's mine) was about £40
I've never (directly) bought an OS, either came preloaded (new or used machines) or like Derek Win10 upgrade while free but I'm helping someone abroad (Kenya) buy one and they have lots with "WindowsTrial (90 days)" preloaded on their machines. I'm assuming that's a trial version of Win10 that expires after 90 days when you have to 'acquire' a Key to keep using it (and the computer retailer gets a cut/commission of the cost!). Is that the sort of thing you are referring to Shaun? I've often wondered if you can just buy a Key off eBay (assuming it's valid and not a multi-used pirated Key).
ShaunWhite

firlandsfarm wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:52 am
ShaunWhite wrote:
I always buy key only. Windows is usually about £12 and my office pro plus 2019 (non subscriber version so it's mine) was about £40
I've never (directly) bought an OS, either came preloaded (new or used machines) or like Derek Win10 upgrade while free but I'm helping someone abroad (Kenya) buy one and they have lots with "WindowsTrial (90 days)" preloaded on their machines. I'm assuming that's a trial version of Win10 that expires after 90 days when you have to 'acquire' a Key to keep using it (and the computer retailer gets a cut/commission of the cost!). Is that the sort of thing you are referring to Shaun? I've often wondered if you can just buy a Key off eBay (assuming it's valid and not a multi-used pirated Key).
I've always used a couple of reputable re-sellers (NOT ebay). There's probably some fly-by-night cowboys but that's not always the case.
I'm NOT making a recommendation I'd want to be responsible for but softwaregeeks (couk) have been around for years and have a feedback score of 4.6 from 4300 reviews. (negs mostly from peole who don't know how to install software and register it) They're also one of the few that say if you have trouble registering it then you should contact MS because they know what they're doing. (Very occassioanlly MS haven't reset the licence as being free after the machine has been decommissioned).

Touch wood they've been flawless....I've probably used them for about 4 years. The first time I wasn't confident but thought it was worth having a try and if it was a rip off then so be it. Turned out to be fine and it's saved 100s over the years. I'm sure there's other sites doing it and I find the sniff test works pretty well for most things.

btw my office pro plus didn't register properly via the software, I contacted MS via their automated registration line and it went through absolutely fine. That gave me a lot of confidence about the whole process as being legitimate.

btw2: prices seem to vary a lot because supply/demand is a bit volatile.
Hepburn

Check the power managment settings in windows
foxwood

ShaunWhite wrote:
I always buy key only. Windows is usually about £12 and my office pro plus 2019 (non subscriber version so it's mine) was about £40 I think, retail price if you can find it is about $440. All legit and properly registered with MS.
Jeez - why did I not know this !

Thanks Shaun :D
ShaunWhite

Perhaps the Google algorithms have me down as a bit of a skin flint... or broke. They just came up when I was looking for the price of Office one day.

I must say again though that although I've always had positive experiences and I have no reason to believe they aren't legit, there's probably some dodgy resellers out there. People should use the usual due diligence when handing over their money. I was swayed by the physical adresss on the contact info, a quick search on companies house, and a larger number of positive reviews than most ify companies bother to write themselves. The web site was better than most of the thrown together template jobs too. It seemed like a value bet.
firlandsfarm

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:59 pm
I've always used a couple of reputable re-sellers (NOT ebay). There's probably some fly-by-night cowboys but that's not always the case.
I'm NOT making a recommendation
Being out of town I use eBay a lot and except for the very very early period I have never had a problem with any sellers. I think the eBay back-up guarantee has a lot to do with it because if eBay have to bail the seller out they will chase after them to be refunded and that probably puts many of the FbN's off. And I never take anything on a forum as a recommendation, I look upon such help as just a pointer for further research. :)

I use the 365 subscription service as it gives me 5 installs to help with my travelling and keeps them all up to date with the latest version. I think I pay around £7pm to Tesco.
ShaunWhite

firlandsfarm wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:31 am
I use the 365 subscription service as it gives me 5 installs to help with my travelling and keeps them all up to date with the latest version.
Is it possible to pay extra to not have the latest version? :)
But being serious it's the lack of forced updates that makes the lifetime license the preferred option for me.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:50 pm
firlandsfarm wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:31 am
I use the 365 subscription service as it gives me 5 installs to help with my travelling and keeps them all up to date with the latest version.
Is it possible to pay extra to not have the latest version? :)
But being serious it's the lack of forced updates that makes the lifetime license the preferred option for me.
I pay Microsoft directly, £5.99 a month for Office 365 but I'm not sure how many installs I can have. If it's just one I will have to upgrade as I'll need to stall on my backup computer.

Office 365 doesn't have forced updates. It's switched on by default but you can switch it off on the options page.
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:19 pm
I pay Microsoft directly, £5.99 a month for Office 365 but I'm not sure how many installs I can have. If it's just one I will have to upgrade as I'll need to stall on my backup computer.
Sounds like you may have the "Personal" licence Derek, only allows one install. It's the "Home" licence that allows 5 installs for £7.99pm and if you use a VPS you can use one of your installs there :)
Dallas

My 365 must have updated today as it appears I now have different desktop and taskbar icons
Derek27

Dallas wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:18 pm
My 365 must have updated today as it appears I now have different desktop and taskbar icons
They should give you a choice, I preferred the old icons and layout.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:36 pm
Dallas wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:18 pm
They should give you a choice, I preferred the old icons and layout.
... and to think you'll be paying for this again and again for the rest of your lives and having the same gripes again and again for the rest of your lives :roll:

Software functionality has already exceded users needs so upgrades don't sell like they once did. The business model needed a change and this is how they'll generate perpetual income from now on. If the shareholders demand bigger dividends, they'll just stick an extra dollar on everyone's bill and the price will creep up and up. Resistance may ultimately be futile but for now I'm digging my heels in over this subscription only stuff.
Derek27

They've moved the close button on Access forms so now I keep moving my mouse to the wrong place. :evil:
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:56 am
They've moved the close button on Access forms so now I keep moving my mouse to the wrong place. :evil:
Is that the one where it used to be top right corner but in now on the tab? I prefer the tab but it took me ages to not go to the tab as with a browser and just as I got used to going to the corner they move it to the tab! :twisted:
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:01 am
Derek27 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:56 am
Is that the one where it used to be top right corner but in now on the tab? I prefer the tab but it took me ages to not go to the tab as with a browser and just as I got used to going to the corner they move it to the tab! :twisted:
Yes, I wouldn't have known it but I naturally move my mouse to the top-right to close an Access form, only to find it's not there. I've had a quick look at the option panel but can't find an option to switch it on, so I'd guess they've removed it.

The icons for Excel and Outlook have changed but Access has remained the same so they're not even consistant. Maybe they'll dump a new critical update to change the Access icon. :roll:

Return to “Technology”