Pc switching off when ba and bf live feed running.

tomek154

Hi all

I'm confused.

Recently when i'm running Ba and have a live bf feed running, my pc is turning off repeatedly.. like 3 or 4 times an hour.

Now, as background, i work from home, and on the days where i don't use ba and bf, the pc is perfectly fine, no switch offs, no issues.

Today for instance, i haven't open ba since tuesday, but the pc has turned off a couple of times already. It's not like a power supply issue as such, as it fires back up fine but it's like when you put the telly on standby.

Windows 10 pro, 8gb ram, amd a8-7600 processor.. 64 bit..

Anyone experienced similar ?

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks
Tom
sa7med

Is your fan working? Perhaps its overheating. Check to see if windows is updating as well.
ShaunWhite

sa7med wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:36 pm
Is your fan working? Perhaps its overheating. Check to see if windows is updating as well.
+ 1 on the temps.

I had similar issues recently (not using BA). The temps weren't critical but it ran constantly on the warm side. The problem was that the voltage regulators on my mobo were starting to fail and were unstable when hot (it was about 6yrs old, but runs about an avg of 18hrs a day). A new mobo sorted it out, it's one of the more involved repair jobs but easy to do and gives you chance to give everything a good clean.
ShaunWhite

Just as an extra bit of advice. If your machine starts to play up then make sure you have a decent backup, and if your machine isn't playing up, make sure you have a decent backup.

And also make sure it's on a different physical device not just a seperate partition on the same drive. It's always a good idea to have to 2(4) identical drives and mirror them, or run scheduled daily backups. Hardware failures really shouldn't cause you any drama if you're organised.
greenmark

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:29 pm
Just as an extra bit of advice. If your machine starts to play up then make sure you have a decent backup, and if your machine isn't playing up, make sure you have a decent backup.

And also make sure it's on a different physical device not just a seperate partition on the same drive. It's always a good idea to have to 2(4) identical drives and mirror them, or run scheduled daily backups. Hardware failures really shouldn't cause you any drama if you're organised.
Sound advice. Backup/restore is probably the lowest priority UNTIL you have a problem. Then you might lose a day (or months) of work. And believe me, you don't want to be in that place.
Essentially, does anything you do on your computer have value to you?
If yes then get your backups sorted.
Hepburn

check to see if windows is updating itself
Derek27

One of the biggest problems with hard drive/partition failure is that so many people keep all their data on the same volume as their system.

Don't use those flipping patronising my documents, my pictures, my videos folders (what idiot buys a mixture of tinned and frozen food and puts it all in his 'my shopping' cupboard???). Keep all your data on a separate volume and back up changed files to cloud storage on a frequent basis. Image your system volume to a file after any major change or software installation and upload it to cloud storage.

Make sure you've got a portable operating system to boot a failed computer such as Windows PE. Then, any major operating system failure is fully recoverable in an hour or two.
sa7med

I wish my PC would turn off while im running bet angel :lol:
Tuco

If you're using a laptop, overheating is a common problem.

I learnt how to fully take my laptop apart to vac out the innards particularly around the heat sinks, video card and fans.

Alternatively your electricity supply might be spikey. To cure/prevent this I use a heavy duty APC UPS.

Good luck!
tomek154

Thanks everyone for your replies. After further digging it appears it's most likely something to do with my video card. I thought the pc was actually turning off but it actually wasn't and its just the displays that go off, the pc actually continues to run, but the only way to get the displays back on is by switching off then on.

I added a second monitor a few months back probably without doing enough research, i'm guessing it's something related to that.

Cheers again.
Tom
firlandsfarm

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:39 pm
Don't use those flipping patronising my documents, my pictures, my videos folders (what idiot buys a mixture of tinned and frozen food and puts it all in his 'my shopping' cupboard???). Keep all your data on a separate volume ...
Couldn't agree more Derek, can't stand when Microsoft (and others) think they know more than I how I want to structure things. Luckily I have a two disk laptop so I have a three disk system, one for System and Apps (backed up monthly to the VPS), one for all data and the third is an external drive synchronised and RAID1 partnered to the data disk.
Derek27

firlandsfarm wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:58 am
Derek27 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:39 pm
Don't use those flipping patronising my documents, my pictures, my videos folders (what idiot buys a mixture of tinned and frozen food and puts it all in his 'my shopping' cupboard???). Keep all your data on a separate volume ...
Couldn't agree more Derek, can't stand when Microsoft (and others) think they know more than I how I want to structure things. Luckily I have a two disk laptop so I have a three disk system, one for System and Apps (backed up monthly to the VPS), one for all data and the third is an external drive synchronised and RAID1 partnered to the data disk.
It stems back to the 1980s when you needed to have some technical expertise to understand and remember all the DOS commands you type in. Then when GUIs came out many people in offices would have struggled to adjust and Microsoft needed to help them organise a computer. 30 years on, with everybody using a computer and many, many people learning programming languages you would think Microsoft would realise we're not all complete idiots.
weemac

Derek27 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:33 pm
......you would think Microsoft would realise we're not all complete idiots.
Yes we are. We pay them hundreds of dollars every few years for another version of the same product we already have and are perfectly happy with.
Derek27

weemac wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:12 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Yes we are. We pay them hundreds of dollars every few years for another version of the same product we already have and are perfectly happy with.
I don't, I upgraded to Windows 10 while it was free. But as the idea was to use millions of home users as guinea pigs to test their software maybe that makes me an idiot. ;)
ShaunWhite

weemac wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:12 pm
Derek27 wrote:
I always buy key only. Windows is usually about £12 and my office pro plus 2019 (non subscriber version so it's mine) was about £40 I think, retail price if you can find it is about $440. All legit and properly registered with MS.

Incidentally after office 2019 it will be office 365 subscription only. If you want a version of office that you don't pay for again and again every year it's a good time to snag a copy.

Return to “Technology”