Pre-race trading on the road!!

acecard

Hey guys,

One thing I wanted trading to do for me was give me freedom, not just with regards to working hours, but also location.

The wife and I are planning to jump in our American style RV and hit the road all around the UK and Europe for a while, but I would need to keep my finger on the buzzer with the trading as this will be how I earn; my main concern is pre-race trading as football is a lot slower and therefore not too much of a worry for me. We are hoping to hit up some remote areas and so I think the best option for me will be to use a satellite broadband service for the sake of coverage, and then couple that with BetAngel VPS in order minimise my data usage as these satellite packages have usage caps and are pretty pricey as you start creeping up the data ladder! I won't have access to Sky for the live pictures so am hoping to rely solely on the Betfair live feed via the VPS.

Questions are:
1. Would the latency of satellite broadband prove to be an issue for both live pictures and speed of entry/exit?
2. Could anyone advise how much data I would save through using BetAngel VPS. I monitored it on my normal PC and BetAngel uses a lot of data!!
3. Does anyone get by fine using the Betfair live feed only (i.e. no Sky pictures).

Thanks!
AC
Dallas

You won't be able to watch a video or live stream from your VPS, due to the screen latency it will be very jumpy and not really watchable even if connecting via a normal wired broadband.
Really you'd need to stream the live pics directly to a laptop. tablet or phone etc

The data usage it a tricky one to answer, if you were not using a VPS to give you some broad figures, with polling refreshing a 12 runner market at 200ms uses about 1.5MB per minute, if you are using polling and trading every horse race you could use up to 50Gb a of data a month or about 1.7Gb per day - and that's without the live video feed
If you use streaming rather than polling in the communication settings that will reduce that bandwidth significantly and of course running it through a VPS will lower it massively

If your getting a data sim then make sure it's truly unlimited and not throttled or something after a certain amount of use

Hope you do enjoy your trip though, it is one of the advantages of trading being to be fully mobile.
acecard

Dallas wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:30 pm
You won't be able to watch a video or live stream from your VPS, due to the screen latency it will be very jumpy and not really watchable even if connecting via a normal wired broadband.
Really you'd need to stream the live pics directly to a laptop. tablet or phone etc

The data usage it a tricky one to answer, if you were not using a VPS to give you some broad figures, with polling refreshing a 12 runner market at 200ms uses about 1.5MB per minute, if you are using polling and trading every horse race you could use up to 50Gb a of data a month or about 1.7Gb per day - and that's without the live video feed
If you use streaming rather than polling in the communication settings that will reduce that bandwidth significantly and of course running it through a VPS will lower it massively

If your getting a data sim then make sure it's truly unlimited and not throttled or something after a certain amount of use

Hope you do enjoy your trip though, it is one of the advantages of trading being to be fully mobile.
Thanks for the response, and thanks for the good wishes! I'm trying to decouple myself from the idea that I have to be restricted to my desk, at home, with my four screens and TV with Sky setup that I currently use. I want to simplify it all and to be honest. I think I would look at getting a laptop and then two other 12V screens. I would use the screens for BA and then the laptop for the pictures.

I've just come across a couple other threads on here about mobile trading and a video that Peter did on it. Looks like most are getting by streaming live pictures.
eightbo

Not launching til next yr but these caught my attention

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/trio ... s.go2.fund
acecard

eightbo wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:50 pm

NICE!!! Bookmarked! Would be VERY useful!

Cheers!
Dallas

acecard wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:57 pm
eightbo wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:50 pm

NICE!!! Bookmarked! Would be VERY useful!

Cheers!
+1 I really like the look of that
Hepburn

You can have a super computer vps over 5G now or soon. Ebb3 provide it for oil and gas industries for graphic modelling. Probably just b2b for now tho.

Return to “Technology”