Bet Angel trader's desks & setup's

andyfuller

Calorie burner: How much better is standing up than sitting?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24532996#TWEET924311
Euler

OK, that's convinced me I have to stand. Anybody got any advice on standing desks?
andyfuller

I know Ergotron do a few desks. Also look back to page 6 of this thread and there are a couple of things to give you some ideas.

It is something I have been meaning to look at more as well.
Euler

I'm pretty sure sitting down too much is the root cause of my foot and leg problems. A real issue for me after years of running, I'm determined to do one more marathon just to show the kids the medals and real and the images aren't photo-shopped!
andyfuller

Euler wrote:I'm pretty sure sitting down too much is the root cause of my foot and leg problems. A real issue for me after years of running, I'm determined to do one more marathon just to show the kids the medals and real and the images aren't photo-shopped!
Peter have you ever done a Parkrun?

I did my first one last weekend and found they are great events and will be going back either running or volunteering as much as I can.

They are held all around the country (and spreading around the world) every Saturday morning, I think they all start at 9am and are all run over 5km. Best of all they are totally FREE to take part in.

You register once on the Parkrun website and you get a unique barcode that you must print and take to all runs in order to get a time (You can buy cheaply barcode tags/credit card). And that's it - you can then turn up whenever you want and where ever you want to run one, be it in London, Scotland or Australia!

They are treated as a run not a race, you just race yourself if you want to. You are encouraged to take your kids along even if they are still in a pram and dogs are also welcome. You can run or walk it, it's up to you.

They seem to be a really good way of getting kids into running but also to get adults into running or back into it.

I am doing them as part of speed training to try and get my marathon times down in the hope of breaking 2hrs 40mins at London 2014.

So if you haven't been to one have a look on the website for you nearest, could be a good way of getting back to that goal of running a marathon and also something you could take your kids along to in order to get them into running:

http://www.parkrun.com/countries/
LeTiss

Talking of running Andy, I'm running the Jersey Spartan Half Marathon on Sunday 17th November

I've lost 3 stone over past 18 months, but haven't run a half marathon for a long time, just 10k races

Looking forward to it, albeit a tad apprehensive
jimrobo

I'm doing the mens health in manchester in 2 weeks if anyone is there doing it.....
Euler

LeTiss 4pm wrote:Talking of running Andy, I'm running the Jersey Spartan Half Marathon on Sunday 17th November

I've lost 3 stone over past 18 months, but haven't run a half marathon for a long time, just 10k races

Well done, good luck for a months time.

Unfortunately I just can't get a few weeks before encountering new problems, I've more or less been constantly injured for ages now.

Managed a nice period of nearly 6 months without a problem then picked up a grade one calf tear during a 10k race, which put me out for ages. Recovered from that and was jogging back from the office when I tripped and twisted my ankle and damaged my shoulder (and busted my iPad). Now I'm suffering from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis.

So life is dealing me a bad hand on the fitness front but I'm determined to try and find a way through it and am keep up general fitness through cycling while I wait for my luck to turn!
jimrobo

LeTiss 4pm wrote:Talking of running Andy, I'm running the Jersey Spartan Half Marathon on Sunday 17th November

I did the spartan sprint up in york about 6 weeks ago I really like the spartan races! Mine was only 6.5k though! The distance is obviously way less but they will likely have all the same obstacles. I actually find the shorter ones tougher because at least you get to relax a bit with the running on the longer ones because the distance between the obstacles is greater but with the shorter ones its sprint, obstacle, repeat and you never seem to get into a rhythm.

Heres the video from the day anyway....

http://vimeo.com/74229022
CaerMyrddin

Hi Peter, I'm really sorry to read all the bad news. I have the same problem on the foot you have, for three years now. Initially I couldn't even walk and had problems standing... Sincerely hope yours is softer, as I've done loads of physiotherapy including shockwaves (not Adobe's lol) and the only thing I can do now is surgery... I really don't want to, as I can walk now, so I'm doing most of my exercise on an elliptical cross trainer, you might want to look to one at some point!

Hope you get better.
Wildly

Any ideas for one mouse across multiple computers. My afternoon is part work part trade and I don't want BA on the work laptop. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard on the desk and laptops raised to better viewing height. At the moment I either use a separate mouse for the trading laptop but have to reach for the trading laptop's keyboard if I want hot-keys. Or I change the wireless USB plug between computers.

Saw Synergy was mentioned a few years ago on this thread but have read of issues. Others I have seen online are "Mouse Share" and "Mouse without Borders". Pros/Cons ? Any security issues?
Thanks
gutuami

mouse without borders works for me for a long long time.
I use a laptop for bf video and as a back up.
marksmeets302

How about a kvm switch?
Galilee66

Mouse without Borders has worked fine for me for a couple of years - it's easy to set up and was put together by a MS staffer - so it should work OK with the boss's OS.

cheers
G66
Wildly

Thanks, I've gone with Mouse Without Borders.
It's a neat ride when you first try it 8-)
Even better when the next race I traded I closed pre-race and moused to the work PC, then heard the call the horse I'd traded around $5 missed the start 5 lengths, I whipped straight back to the same ladder, layed and $9 and closed seconds later at $22 :D

Return to “Technology”