Bet Angel trader's desks & setup's

andyfuller

Cheers for the replies, the screens only have one input each so can't use the later idea. I looked at a switch that had 8 inputs and 4 outputs which could be used in any combination but the cost was around £500 which isn't worth it for what I want.

So I think I will go down the route of using 4 of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Konig-4-Port-VG ... =pd_ybh_11

That way I can use 2 of the 4 inputs on each unit, one coming from each PC, then I can have the one output going to a screen. Do that 4 times and you can use any screen with any PC, only downside is that you are fixed on which PC output uses which screen. But this option will cost £28 v the £500 option which allows any PC output to use any screen.

As for sharing the mouse and keyboard I am not fussed about that via the KVM as I understand you can get free software called Synergy that allows you to do this and also allows you to copy and paste text from one PC to the other which will be handy.

If anyone has a better idea please let me know. TIA.
gutuami

may be you could use some software for your needs like maxivista for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYxQ300rW7Q

http://www.maxivista.com/multi-monitor-software.htm
andyfuller

Just started to take my old setup down and remembered I hadn't posted any pictures of it. So here are three, excuse the wires, I had already undone the under the table top routing for them all. Also missing from the picture is my back up iPad and mobile I always have at the table but was using them to take the photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeterLe

Looks Good Andy.
Do you use the left system for Betfair and the right set of screens for the financials?

Regards
Peter
Edit:
PS re the iPad. I spent hours and hours writing a new auto strategy on Wednesday and after testing as much as I could in Practice Mode. I switched it to live mode yesterday.
This new system throws in large stakes so I had my finger hovering over the "Disconnect" button in the Excel tab just incase anything strange happened....half way through the race the whole avenue had a power cut! I was quickly able to switch to my Ipad to disconnect..Think that has only ever happened to me twice since I started five years ago, but worth it's weight in gold!
foxwood

Uninterruptible power supplies (UPS's) are cheap and worth their weight in gold - and they are heavy !

A good sized one will keep everything going for 15 - 30 minutes in the event of a power cut. Just make sure to plug the modem, monitor and any other essentials into it.

That solution then moves the focus to another critical link in the chain - the telephone line and BT - so maybe a mobile dongle as well.

Edit: Oh, and of course the computer needs plugging in to the UPS !
andyfuller

I used to use the left hand desk for Betfair and it has had various different set ups over the years but more recently once I made the right hand desk for Betfair trading the left hand one was just used for general computer work.

So left was general Internet, right was Betfair.

Today I have taken both desk setups to pieces and begun to make my new setup, hopefully should be finished by the end of Monday as got a few coats of varnish to do over the weekend. Making your own desk is I think a really good idea if you are anyway DIY inclined, you can make a custom desk for a tiny fraction of the cost a standard one costs from a shop.

The new setup is going to just be the one set of screens running two pc's that will be used for financial trading and general work. My Betfair days have finished now so I no longer need the tall setup I had in the picture. Once it is all done I will pop another picture up before I depart for pastures new.
andyfuller

I looked at getting a UPS when I was planning my setups to begin with but I decided instead to get a 3G mobile which allowed tethering as that way I could connect my laptop, now iPad to the signal and exit that way and/or use the mobile to call at the same time. That way I was covered for both power and phone line failure as well as any Internet issues.

Btw, always have your TAN ready and the phone numbers, last thing you want to be doing is searching for them when the shit hits the fan.

Also periodically check the numbers as they have a habit of changing them and if you really want to be sure run a few mock power failures say in the morning when trading with minimum stakes, get someone to set a timer switch for you so you don't know when it is going to happen and then you can practice and find anything that doesn't work. Yes it sounds ott but when the shit hits the fan for real and you have big stakes at risk you will be much better placed to deal with it.
Euler

Just stuck up a video on my portable trading set up: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU-jlQY3kPQ
CaerMyrddin

Curiously I'm picking up a Samsung Series 9 laptop like yours later in the evening. It's stunning.
Euler

Been very happy with mine, it's travelled quite a few thousand miles already. I actually bought it after playing with it at an airport on my way out of the country.
PeterLe

Hi
Hope you forgive me for this plug...but I'm selling my old setup on Ebay if anyone is looking for a multi-monitor setup

Listed here:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230950692420? ... 1555.l2649

It would be nice if someone was able to get some good use from it
Thanks
Regards
Peter
Thanks for allowing me to list it Peter
andyfuller

If they were 2343's you would have had yourself a deal!

Currently redoing my set up (again)! The standing table will have to wait for some point in the future as now going for a new wall mounted setup.

What are you replacing your setup with Peter?
Euler

I'm still trying to sort out my standing desk. Currenly using my filing cabinets to spend some of the day standing up. Was thinking of stepping up to six monitors in the next upgrade.
LeTiss

Six monitors?......you'll be bossed eyed when I bump into next!
andyfuller

Euler wrote:I'm still trying to sort out my standing desk. Currenly using my filing cabinets to spend some of the day standing up. Was thinking of stepping up to six monitors in the next upgrade.
What resolution are you running at Peter?

I have 4 screens each running at 2048 x 1152 set in a rectangle so get effectively one screen of 4096 x 2304.

Very rarely do I want for more and with the current setup can see all the screens by moving my eyes rather than my head which was something I made a concious effort to get as I found in the past I used to get neck ache after a long day in front of the screens.

Return to “Technology”