Bet Angel trader's desks & setup's

to75ne

Kalumpus wrote:Quite an old pic but still workin with similar setup. 2 desktops, one laptop, 8 screens :geek:
are you a security guard?
walshy

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question.

I have a dual monitor set up on my desktop using a graphics card with 2 outputs.

I want to if possible get a usb monitor that I can use as a secondary monitor with a laptop but as a third monitor on the desktop.

Is this possible? And if so could anyone recommend a monitor?

Peter I remember ages ago a thread where you spoke about a portable trading setup you use which included a secondary monitor on a laptop. Do you have a link to the thread at all? I cant seem to find it anywhere.
Kalumpus

walshy, you can easily use an extra screen on your desktop via a VGA display adapter, I've used those in the past. Believe they came from a company called Star Tech. There a number of portable monitors available, ideal for a travel setup - I keep lookin at those the myself but havent got around to buying.
JollyGreen

You can use a USB adapter but I have to say I always found the output from that type of device to be slow. It would be okay for static display but not so good with video or possibly not so good with advanced charts. The adapter would cost £30-50

The alternative is something like a Matrox Triple Head to go but this is around £250 if I remember correctly.
walshy

Forget that peter, i think i must have got it mixed up as Ive just seen the youtube clip posted earlier in this thread. could have sworn it was a text based description. I must be cracking up :roll:

Anyway thanks for posting it and thanks Kalumpus for your reply. Just to be clear if I buy a usb to Vga adapter that will work in tandem with my graphics card to give me a three monitor setup?
walshy

Sorry JollyGreen missed your reply.

That may cause me some problems as I wanted to use it for live video, the Matrox Triple Head is a bit more than i wanted to pay but if its the only option I may have to consider it.

I'll keep looking, thanks for your help
andyfuller

If you don't need the Laptop option, could you add another graphics card to the PC? - It would be a cheaper option I would think and give better performance.
Kalumpus

Hi walshy, yes you could use the VGA adapter along with current graphics card for extra monitor - I did just that before upgrading my main desktop. Another alternative would be to upgrade your graphics card I suppose.
JollyGreen

The problem is the addition of a third monitor is not a windows issue it is a driver issue.

Some motherboards will have more than one PCI or PCIe slot, some will have integrated graphics. The problem with adding another card can be power supply capability. With onboard graphics you often find the BIOS will only allow one or the other not both. I appreciate this is not true of all boards so perhaps you can let me know your motherboard make and model number.

If you cannot see it on the board then use CPU-Z, this will automatically detect your board.
LinusP

Sometimes depending on the MB, the graphics cards have to be identical as well.
walshy

Hi Andy, I did originally want to also use the monitor with a laptop as a mobile trading option but if its going to be slugish and unsuitable for video etc I may not bother.

The Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-G31M-E52L Jollygreen
JollyGreen

The Gigabyte GA-G31M-E52L is a S775 board with only One PCIe slot. It has onboard Intel GMA3100 graphics.

I do not know if the board will allow you to use your graphics card and the onboard at the same time, I suggest dropping a line to their support department.

On the laptop, what model is it? They usually have a D-SUB VGA output to allow you to connect an additional monitor.
walshy

Thanks Jollygreen will do, Im looking to buy a laptop at the moment also, im after something light but with a decent size screen.
JollyGreen

Well I would advise nothing bigger than 17" because they get a bit heavy and bulky above that.

I can definitely recommend Samsung or Toshiba, I have a few of them; some old some new. I am obsessive with items I own and always look after anything. I still have a Dell Pentium II from from 1999 and it still works, runs Bet Angel and looks like new!

Also, have a look on eBay as the trend followers very often shift old Core2Duo laptops for next to nothing. As I have been unwell lately I needed something to keep me busy so I bought old laptops and renovated them. I bought a 17" Toshiba with a 2.4Ghz C2D and 4GB of ram for £40 because the screen wouldn't work. Well that was what the seller said but it was nothing more than a "black screen bug" caused by a windows update!

My argument is simple, you can buy 4-5 laptops and run them into the ground for the same price as one new one!
walshy

sounds good to me I'll definitely have a look into that.

Thanks for the advice much appreciated

Return to “Technology”