Bet Angel trader's desks & setup's

Wildly

Any ideas for one mouse across multiple computers. My afternoon is part work part trade and I don't want BA on the work laptop. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard on the desk and laptops raised to better viewing height. At the moment I either use a separate mouse for the trading laptop but have to reach for the trading laptop's keyboard if I want hot-keys. Or I change the wireless USB plug between computers.

Saw Synergy was mentioned a few years ago on this thread but have read of issues. Others I have seen online are "Mouse Share" and "Mouse without Borders". Pros/Cons ? Any security issues?
Thanks
gutuami

mouse without borders works for me for a long long time.
I use a laptop for bf video and as a back up.
marksmeets302

How about a kvm switch?
Galilee66

Mouse without Borders has worked fine for me for a couple of years - it's easy to set up and was put together by a MS staffer - so it should work OK with the boss's OS.

cheers
G66
Wildly

Thanks, I've gone with Mouse Without Borders.
It's a neat ride when you first try it 8-)
Even better when the next race I traded I closed pre-race and moused to the work PC, then heard the call the horse I'd traded around $5 missed the start 5 lengths, I whipped straight back to the same ladder, layed and $9 and closed seconds later at $22 :D
andyfuller

Well worth a watch - Peter Webb's latest set up. A trading kiosk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kcIMG1BmSU
LeTiss

andyfuller wrote:Well worth a watch - Peter Webb's latest set up. A trading kiosk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kcIMG1BmSU
Don't like it

I recently bought a new laptop and the touch screen does my head in. I think my fingers are too clumsy, or my hand isn't steady enough. I've plugged a mouse in instead, so seeing PW's set up wouldn't work for me at all
andyfuller

Could you not do something similar but just use a mouse operated PC i.e. keep the standing part.

It was interesting listening to the boss of Razor this morning on the radio saying he doesn't see the death of the mouse any time soon. Didn't Steve Jobs think it was dead long ago, much like people wanting bigger phones...

One of the most annoying things I find on 'his' devices is the lack of cursor keys which he claims there was no need for. Drives me mad when editing spelling etc.

Touch screen has a time and a place - not sure it is for trading myself either, but I can see the advantages of the setup for trading but also elsewhere around the house.

There are some great examples on youtube of touchscreen coffee tables and kitchen screens.
andyfuller

I may have posted some of these previously on this thread so sorry if I have.

I have spent this morning sorting out some old files as I try and get my PC filing sorted, it is a very slow process as I seem to have stuff all over the place from many years of not being organised and having different USB sticks, iPods, notebooks and PCs etc but I came across while sorting through things some photos of some of my old trading setups that I thought I would post:
DSC02544.JPG
DSC02549.JPG
DSC02576.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andyfuller

Cont...
DSC02578.JPG
IMAG0129.jpg
IMAG0117.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andyfuller

Cont...
1336385621863.jpg
1336385804280.jpg
Can't remember why I needed 3 Sky Boxes :? Dread to think what the bill was as I would have had a fourth in the lounge :)
marksmeets302

That's a nice progression there Andy... next year a holo-tv?
andyfuller

The last picture was 3 years ago now and in a different house. These days I have a fourth of the bigger black screens and have them set up 2 x 2 on a standard wall bracket as I no longer have a need for all the trading stuff though I do use the Belkin unit everyday - fantastic bit of kit, such a time saver, even just for copying and pasting.

A lot of my work is now based on excel so the 2 x 2 setup is fantastic as the screens are each 2048 x 1152 so that gives me a total screen size of 4,096 wide by 2,304 which allows me to go big spreadsheets easily displayed.
andyfuller

Does anyone on the forum know much about lighting?

I am currently setting up my new office room. All of the lighting in the house needs upgrading and I am looking at going for LED bulbs but I am not too sure about which ones would be best for an office.

I have narrowed it down to two bulbs:

2700k / 1521lm (~100W)
or
5000k / 1200lm (~75W)

In the past I have always just put up whatever bulb I had in the cupboard but having read around the subject lighting is actually really quite important to your performance/concentration so I would be interested to hear any advice.
PeterLe

Im no expert, but arent LED a bit of a harse light?

Return to “Technology”