Betfair trading abroad

Mr Undercover

Totally agree, it's well documented a prohibition on gambling doesn't work, and worse, protection of the most vulnerable is left in the hands of nafarious indivdiuals. Countries like the US, Singapore and Thailand all know this but they play on the politics to develop protectionist policies to keep it in-house. They know it's a very lucrative industry so hate to see revenues draining off overseas to foreign businesses. It's an easy target as religion is entwined so easy to play to the sensibilities of the bible bashing majority in Southern US states or Muslim countries... thou shalt not gamble... unless in Las Vegas or Oil rich sheikh with aspirations to win the Derby.

It's a pantomime unfortunately and gambling firms like Betfair and Ladbrokes are eager to demonstrate to US authorities considering issuing restricted licenses that they uphold the stringent standards in identifying and removing 'illegal' activity.

Beware... I know of numerous cases where people have come a cropper though innocently placing bets from US soil and other regions thinking it was fine...
Euler

I don't think anybody is advocating anything illegal here, just discussing the scenarios.
viper.trader

What i cant understand is why Bf dont have the restricted terrotries like the bookies. Is it a case you have to ask them or do your own homework on it, and if you get it wrong you get your account frozen.
steven1976

I think they may do in some certain countries that they are maybe closely monitored such as countries in the EU such as Spain, Denmark and the USA. Further a field maybe there aren't the checks and requests to bf from the authorities and therefore betfair being the business they are possibly turn a blind eye to further increase profits?
misimiki

I live in Hungary and so far no problems using BF. In actual fact, last year i couldn't use Bettornado for my Ipad as it was country restricted, but it seems now that it isn't and I can now use it here in Budapest. But that is not what I want to comment about. I just downloaded AirDisplay for my Ipad and it rocks!!! What a cool and useful app for a very good price. Thanks Peter for mentioning it on this thread.
Mr Undercover

Just a quick response to give you my view on a few of the points above.

Most online sites will publish from where they will allow you to register an account, usually somewhere in the registration page. They won't tell you their position with 'grey' jurisdictions like Turkey or Germany where they may allow you to register an account and they'll certainly turn a blind eye if they see you placing bets from that jurisdiction while roaming or travelling there. Most large bookies and have fairly sophisticated IP detection/tracking software which will attempt to block activity from certain jurisdictions such as for example the US, but, and this is where they are a little naughty, they may allow betting activity to continue from some illegal jurisdictions such as Thai and territories where it's unclear - they get round this with some complex technical and legal arguments. They keep a close watching brief on how these jurisdictions develop legally and politically and will tighten up or relax as they see fit.

I say all this is a pantomime because anyone can use a VPN or IP masking s/ware or website such as cover my arse.com. You can even use mobile access (3G) which anonymises ID and location... something all operators are aware of but not going to tell you.

Knowing a little a bit about this area and reading some of the blogs and forum comments... NOT this one or anyone connect to this site of course, leaves me feeling some people sail very close to the wind with little or no idea of the risk they are taking. I know of people losing large sums of money innocently... be very careful.
Zenyatta

I registered in New Zealand, I'm now visiting the UK, and shortly I'm travelling across the EU. Surely I can't be expected to have to check whether I'm allowed to bet every time I move up and down the road? This is just ludicrous.
PeterLe

Zenyatta wrote:I registered in New Zealand, I'm now visiting the UK, and shortly I'm travelling across the EU. Surely I can't be expected to have to check whether I'm allowed to bet every time I move up and down the road? This is just ludicrous.
hi Zenyatta
how are you finding the uk? have you been here before?
Why not move everything onto a VPS for a month or so whilst you are travelling? I'll be out of the country next week on business and it's so easy with a VPS you don't have to worry about restrictions
Regards
Peter
Mr Undercover

I'd agree totally ludicrous and peter is right VPS is the only sensible way forward if you want to travel without risk.

You might think Euro gaming policy is dysfunctional but just step over the water to Oz, you can play a fruit machine on a petrol pump while you fill you car up but exchanges are not allowed in some states...

and good old US ambassadors of the free world where you can own an armour piecing automatic bazooka to blow up your home town if you feel like it but Fed needs to protect you from the evils of online bingo.
Zenyatta

PeterLe wrote: hi Zenyatta
how are you finding the uk? have you been here before?
Why not move everything onto a VPS for a month or so whilst you are travelling? I'll be out of the country next week on business and it's so easy with a VPS you don't have to worry about restrictions
Regards
Peter
I've visited the UK before briefly, but years ago.

My impressions of London in particular:

Disadvantages: Over-crowded, expensive, bad weather
Advantages: Culture, excitement, melting pot, everything you could want here

I do use the VPS, so hopefully I won't fall afoul of any stupid betting restrictions.
CaerMyrddin

http://www.europeanconsumerschoice.org/ ... tion-2012/

If you come to my hometown, please let me know and I'll show you the ropes!
PeterLe

CaerMyrddin wrote:http://www.europeanconsumerschoice.org/ ... tion-2012/

If you come to my hometown, please let me know and I'll show you the ropes!
I love Portugal; although surprised Manchester isn't on the list ! :o
LeTiss

PeterLe wrote: I love Portugal; although surprised Manchester isn't on the list ! :o
That's because rainfall, drugs and prostitution was taken into consideration :lol:
PeterLe

LeTiss 4pm wrote:
PeterLe wrote: I love Portugal; although surprised Manchester isn't on the list ! :o
That's because rainfall, drugs and prostitution was taken into consideration :lol:
ha ha!! :D
CaerMyrddin

Did you ever come to Porto? Give it a go, we need your money! :lol:

Return to “Technology”