VPS on 3G Connection

CaerMyrddin

Does anyone have data on how much 3G internet I would spend per hour on average trading?

Many thanks in advance.
mugsgame

My broadband was recently down for a week. I used about 1.4GB a day trading through my VPS and other light browsing, though no videos.
Mr Undercover

I sometimes trade for an after on 3G when travelling, i use a '3' dongle as they currently offer the fastest connection 3G(HSDPA) in areas of good coverage. 4G will obviously be quicker but super expensive for the time being.

Generally i'll use 500mb in 6-8hrs of trading and that includes video streaming (using BF service) but chopping the video as soon as in play or traded out.

You might be able to use your current mobile phone if on a contract and have a data allowance. i've got a blackberry with 02 but using your mobile is noticably slower than using a dongle. Also, if you decide to do this i'd connect your mobile to the laptop/computer with a usb wire, don't be tempted to use wifi to mobile (or bluetooth or infared) these connections can be flaky and some mobile devices seemed to get overloaded and drop the connection just when you don't need it to happen.

Also, one last thing, if you are a BT customer you can use BTFON wifi (check you've got username and pword) coverage is fairly good now in built up areas.

Best of luck!
CaerMyrddin

Many thanks for your replies. I'm somewhat intrigued by the differences in data usage?

Mr Undercover, does your Blackberry support hsdpa?
Mr Undercover

i think my blackberry supports hsdpa while the "3" dongle supports hsdpa+ which is supposedly 3.5g as sum in the industry call it. i think i'm right in saying the 3 network is the only one to support hsdpa+ the other 4 networks are waiting to migrate to 4g so didn't bother with it... but it does make a big differnece web pages appear instantly whereas hsdpa feels slow and clunky to me.

i've got a 5gb monthly 10quid which is really worth the cost if in a build up area and you want near broad band speed.
CaerMyrddin

Thank you very much for your reply. Cheers!

Return to “Technology”