VPS and UK account

algobot1

Hi,

I want to start to use the betfair API. It will be easier for me (and also faster !) if I use a VPS. There is one with BEtangel.
Does betfair allow the use of a VPS ? Do you need to live in the country where the VPS is or not (I can move soon if necessary but not right now).

And I want to avoid malta round trip. If I'm right I need a UK account. But what are the minimal requirements to have a UK account :
- just an UK address ?
- UK address and UK credit card ?
- UK address and UK bank account ?
- UK passport ? (that would be very difficult ...)
- something else.

I searched the forum but I didn't find the answer (although I'm pretty sure it has already been discussed here).

So if you have time to answer (even a small one)...

Thanks !
6thSense
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

These look like questions for Betfair to be honest. They are better placed to answer country-specific account queries. Bet Angel is not Betfair which is why you probably didn't find the answers in this forum.

As far as the VPS is concerned Betfair do allow these to make connections to the exchange. There is no restriction. You can access the VPS from a location other than the UK. This is one of the main benefits of having a VPS.
PeterLe

Hi
here is an extract from an email from betfair:-

"We domicile your account based on the address that you have registered Betfair address, which is the UK.
There are no other specific issues that should affect your access to Betfair if you have a VPS based in other countries.
You would only experience an issue if you had a VPS based in a restricted country such as the US. In this case, our geoIP checks would block your access to our service "

It may go part way to answer your question, but as 6th Sense suggests; it may be worthwhile contacting betfair too..for the definitive
regards
Peter
algobot1

Thanks !

So : a vps is possible and there are no restrictions.
And to open a betfair UK account you just need a UK address. I would have said a UK bank account also ...
But as you say : I will contact betfair to be sure.
JollyGreen

You will need a UK address and bank account! Betfair will contact you at that address by telephone and confirm all of your details. My friend came to stay with me as he found a job here in the UK. He had to do this to get the Betfair account opened.
algobot1

Thank you.

Yes betfair also told me that by email (I received it 2 minutes ago): You need a UK address and a UK bank account to open a betfair UK account.
Right now no confirmation for the VPS though.
Euler

Once you have an account you can then use your VPS from anywhere on the globe. You just remote desktop into the server. From the other side you are in the UK as the server, at least ours, are based in the UK.
3virgul14

What if -you`re in Ireland ? Is it still considered as an UK account to bypass Malta?
3virgul14

No one knows about Irish accounts? If it`s directly connected to BF London server or has Malta re-direction?

Thanks in advance

6thSense
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

From Betfair:
Since March 2011, all Betfair API & website traffic has been routed via our data centre in Dublin, Ireland.

The only exception is that customers who place bets on Australian markets (AUS Exchange) are routed via our servers in Australia.

Return to “Technology”